1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 Dakota

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sergentpepper11, Dec 19, 2003.

1. sergentpepper11

sergentpepper11 Junior Member

I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota Reg Cab v6. I am looking ot put a plow on it. I am not going to be doing a lot of plowing, therefore do not want to spend the bucks for a brand new plow. I am looking at a one year old meyers plow that is on a 1996 Dodge Dakota currently. Is it safe to assume that it will be compatible with my truck. If it is not compatible and adjustments need to be made, are they difficult to make, and are they costly to make?

Thanks a million,

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I have seen new dakota's with western fisher and meyers on them
  3. festerw

festerw Senior Member

The mount for the 96 will have to be altered to make it fit and the wiring harness for the lights will have to be changed, it cost me about $450 to get a meyer plow from a 93 Dakota onto my 99.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You lucked out on that $450 price to mount the plow.
    My brother-inlaw had to pay $900 to get one taken off one Chevy and put on another!
  5. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Actually I only paid $300, but the guy I bought the plow from had a spare moldboard that was practically brand new, so I traded it in for a break on the price it wasn't going to do me any good sitting in the yard and rusting.
  6. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Why would you plow with such a small truck? I have a Dakota for a personal vehicle and i never would put a plow on it. I had a f 150 once with a plow and it broke down a lot. to plow you need a 2500 hd or bigger truck
  7. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

snoway is the plow for small trucks. they weigh less and work good for your vehicle. i would suggest going to www.snoway.com and checking them out.
  8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Well turfmower thats not true i know guys who plowed with jeeps and they were set up right but they were small and maybe under a 100 horsepower but thats what you did during the 60s
  9. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

the meyer will be great on your truck:)
  10. sergentpepper11

sergentpepper11 Junior Member

Thank you very much for the feedback. I have one more question. Is the cost for converting from an old doge to a new dodge the same as it would be to go from a chevy or any other brand to a dodge? If I am not getting the plow from the exact truck that I intend to put it on, does it matter if it is the same brand or same model but older version?

11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

If the plow from the 96 is at a good price by it, then trade the bottom mount in and buy the correct mount for your truck plus the wiring that you need. All told shouldnt cost more than 5-700.00 to buy the correct mounts. You are correct is assuming that it will ct the same to go from 96 dakota to 03 dakota as it will to go from chevy to dodge or any other make to dakota.
  12. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

If I were you, I would just start from scratch and buy a new plow with the proper mount and wiring for your truck. By the time you piece it together, you will have close to the same amount in it, and it is one year old.
  13. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I would say buy the new mount too, but the problem is meyer doesn't make a mount for the 97 up Dakotas, that is why it had to be altered.