1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 Chevy/ Western Wiring Problems?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by '01_1500, May 15, 2009.

1. '01_1500

'01_1500 Member

Hello all, I've been a member here for quite some time but haven't been very active lately. I finally bought a plow, just a Western Unimount 7'6" but the price was good. When I was going to wire in the plow I decided that i would look for a new wiring harness for it and found out that I may be in trouble. Apparently Chevy decided to change their wiring for 2003 and very early 2004 so the wiring may not work. I'm looking at around $600 in new wiring to hook up this plow. Does anybody have any more info on this? I'm not finding too much online about it and want to know if there are any other options, and if I would need to rewire for any plow i buy, considering the strange wiring. Thanks guys.

2. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

[QUOTE='01_1500;780822]Hello all, I've been a member here for quite some time but haven't been very active lately. I finally bought a plow, just a Western Unimount 7'6" but the price was good. When I was going to wire in the plow I decided that i would look for a new wiring harness for it and found out that I may be in trouble. Apparently Chevy decided to change their wiring for 2003 and very early 2004 so the wiring may not work. I'm looking at around $600 in new wiring to hook up this plow. Does anybody have any more info on this? I'm not finding too much online about it and want to know if there are any other options, and if I would need to rewire for any plow i buy, considering the strange wiring. Thanks guys.[/QUOTE]

I am still very new here, so I am sure the regulars will post up very soon. I have an 05 Chevy, but the harness I currently have is from a Dodge. I will be wiring it up here in the next month or two so I will be able to provide final answers and pictures.

From looking at the harness, it seems our troubles are gonna be in the headlight wiring plugs (if they are a different style then the truck you have), . This is not gonna be a problem for me, because I plan to wire it up separately of the trucks headlights.

Again, I am not an expert on these plow systems, but I outfit squad cars on the side and their systems are more in depth than this harness.

3. '01_1500

'01_1500 Member

Well I bought the truck side wiring because I would have needed to replace that harness anyways and the plow works just fine without replacing any of the plow side wiring.

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

$600, ouch............you got hosed.

5. '01_1500

'01_1500 Member

No I didn't pay near $600. That's just what the Western dealer was telling me I needed to do. I needed truck-side wiring anyway because the harness I got with the plow was pretty hacked and I wanted to start from scratch. They were very insistent that I needed to spend around another $400 for plow side wiring and new lights. I didn't do that and everything seems to be working well. Turns out the controller I bought with the plow is junk though and the down function isn't working with that controller.

6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

[QUOTE='01_1500;780923]No I didn't pay near $600. That's just what the Western dealer was telling me I needed to do. I needed truck-side wiring anyway because the harness I got with the plow was pretty hacked and I wanted to start from scratch. They were very insistent that I needed to spend around another $400 for plow side wiring and new lights. I didn't do that and everything seems to be working well. Turns out the controller I bought with the plow is junk though and the down function isn't working with that controller.[/QUOTE]

Is it a joystick?

7. '01_1500

'01_1500 Member

Yea It's a joystick. Not much of a loss to me really as I prefer hand held controllers. I figured I could keep it as a backup for emergencies on the off chance that the up function on my other controller stops working.

8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I've got a little secret for those.....PM sent ;)

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

There might be a few of us that wouldn't mind knowing that secret.:drinkup:

10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Oh sorry.......................here ya go ;)

Hook it up and jiggle it up and down almost hard enough as if you feel like it's going to break off in your hand. It will usually start working. The pin switch for the down position usually gets hung up in time and sticks. It sounds crazy but I've fixed them this way about 20 times and recommended it to others that have done the same.

Really, don't be afraid to break it.......it's already broken! :)

11. '01_1500

'01_1500 Member

Thanks for all the good info. I'll try that trick tomorrow. If that doesn't work I'll have to pull the controller apart and see if i can figure anything out.

12. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Your Dodge set up will not even come close to working on a Chevy. Chevy have DRL's So you will have no headlights. So sell ISO box and get the correct one. I think chevys are green labels. And the wiring is the same from 99-06 and I am pretty sure the head light harness will be different. So you can use a few wires out of the Dodge set up

13. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

correct me if I am wrong here, but since I said I am going to wire it separately from my headlights, why should the daytime running lights matter?

I do not plan on wiring this harness to my lights at all. plow functions and plow light activation from an auxiliary witch in the cab is all I want. I can see high beam activation being an issue, but that is the only hurdle I see at the moment.

good info on the 99-06, thanks

14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

No, you're right. The headlight harness, although innertwined with the plow control harness, is completely separate. You could run a hot lead to a switch and turn on the plow lights. The only issue there would be that you'd have to manually turn off your truck lights. (that, and your signals and stuff wouldn't work unless you tied those in).

15. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

I forgot about the turns....now I am not sure how I wanna wire it....maybe I will look for one.