1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 Chevy Sliverado 1500 5.3 liter

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by pabaker66, Aug 30, 2012.

1. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

I will give a little history of what truck is doing.

Runs like crap cant even drive anymore.
    I have done the standard tune up
    I have replace all the parts that the computer says to.

Today I started it and moved it to the shop doors and it still ran like crap.

I crawled under it to see how the catalytic converters were attached and here is what I found,

The pipe off of the manifold was hot to the touch, the converter was hot to the touch but the pipe after the converter was only a bit warm. ( i could put my hand on it and keep it there)

Before I spend 600.00 dollars to replace the Wye pipe and converters I am looking for your opinions.

2. Kwing1120

Kwing1120 Member

When you say running like crap what exactly is it doing? My 1999 1500 was hard starting and would cut out and it was the fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter.
  3. rofoth6

rofoth6 Member
    from iowa

replace converter with a regular exhaust pipe and see if that makes it run better first before paying all that money and still have it run like crap.
  4. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

I cut a hole in the converter and removed the stuff inside, welded a patch over hole and truck runs great.

Now i need to do the other converter as I am sure it will plug up real soon as well.

Thanks for the input
  5. Holland

Holland Senior Member

If you dont have to have it emissions tested and you dont mind a service light coming on, you'll be fine. It wont pass and emissions test and you will get a service light w/o a cat on in tho!
  6. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Or they could get an 02 extender (there like the anti fouler's you can get for spark plugs) to keep the light off. It still wont pass emissions test though.
  7. Holland

Holland Senior Member

yea its pretty common for the cats to go bad on them. I've seem guys just put a generic cat on them and it'll keep the light off, but we dont have testing around here so i cant say if it would pass a test with a generic cat. Be cheaper than going to an oe replacement if you could get the thing to pass.
  8. Paul D

Paul D Member

Walker y-pipe with dual converters part # 50462 cost me $230 delivered from Advanced Auto for my 2004 5.3l GMC sierra 1500. I see $493 on their web site but haggled on the phone and got a couple big discounts from them for my first online purchase. It's worth a shot only ordered 2/16/12. :mechanic: