1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 chevy silverado 3500 overheating with 8.5 Blizzard!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bastalker, Dec 12, 2008.

1. bastalker

bastalker Junior Member
    from Ct.

Hi all! I haven't been around alot lately but I need yer expert advice...

Just had it installed yesterday. Overheated on the highway last night on the way home. The blade was as low as I could get it with out sparks flyin all over the place but to no avail. Pulled over a couple times to let it cool back down. When I got off the HW and ran at 45 mph it wasn't to bad.

I have read that I need a HD clutch. I probably need the cooling system flushed out as well. I bought the truck last year and have never checked the cooling system. It is still under warranty. Suggestions...Ideas?

2. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

It is still under warranty?? If so, TRY to get the dealership to pay for the updated fan clutch. I too just having problems this year with the overheating issue. If they end up giving you a huge hard time and you don't feel it is worth your aggrivation... Go to AutoZone and get the fan clutch for $69. That comes with a lifetime guarantee. I am going to be getting my coolant flushed as well. 110k on the original stuff. GOODLUCK!
  3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

If youve read that you need a new clutch fan assy then you probably also know there is a serevice bulletin out on it also from GM. Take it to the dealer if its under warranty and hit them with the S/B.
  4. bastalker

bastalker Junior Member
    from Ct.

Thanks Crash...Didn't know about the service bulletin though. Would you happen ta have a link for it?