1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 chevy silverado 1500 long bed boss snow plow

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by randomb0b123, Sep 18, 2012.

1. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

2. randomb0b123

from america

3. randomb0b123

from america

bump lowered price. i guess winters cancelled for this year? no ones buying anything

4. randomb0b123

from america

bump still have this truck for sale

5. randomb0b123

from america

what am i doing wrong last year this truck would have been gone the day i listed it

6. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

My thoughts, for whatever they're worth...I hope they help.

In this economy it's tough to sell premium stuff ("i realize my price sounds a little high, its a really nice truck though"). I haven't been keeping up with prices but $13,000 sounds like a whole lot for a 10 year old 1500 with 81,000 miles that has been used for plowing.

Don't know how your winter was in Cleveland but in New England last winter was almost snowless, so plows aren't selling this year, and therefore neither are trucks with expensive plows.

Regular cab long bed trucks aren't very popular and people don't like them, especially the people who pay well for well-cared-for premium stuff...it's mostly the domain of tradesmen who need to get their materials to the job, who don't care if it's beat up, and who likely want a 2500.

Your ad is very wordy. Many Craigslist users don't like to read. Skip all the chatting. Cut any details that won't help convince someone to call; instead, save that stuff for the pitch once you're talking to them. You only need to get them to call, you don't need to close the deal in the ad. Spread the rest out with some whitespace so people don't see a big paragraph and worry about having to read.

4.8, rubber floors, manual transfer case probably turn people off. Just say V8 and 4x4, tell the rest as part of the pitch. (Some people prefer the manual transfer case, some prefer electronic, some don't care; but none will rule out the truck for not mentioning it.)

Use correct grammar, capitalization, and punctuation. If your 6th grade English teacher wouldn't grade you 100 on it, clean it up. It's not a conscious part of people's decision, but merely imparts a feel that helps instill confidence.

You could try better photos with good daylight. It looks a little gloomy and depressing, not exciting, and I have no idea if it's black, blue, or dark green. You could also post photos of details that you think are good, like those new tires and their unworn tread. Include a front-end photo without the plow; people who don't know much about plows might think that they'll have to drive to the grocery store with the lift frame attached like a rig from 20 years ago. Photos showing the immaculate interior might really make an impression.

I don't know if those thoughts will help you sell it or not, but they might be worth considering since it's not selling the way it is.

7. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Just checked prices on pickup trucks.com and your price is right in line with dealer asking price.I would be patient. I've got a truck that's been for sale since spring,just got offer and waiting to finalize, hopefully. Just read that used car prices are going up due to inventory reduction due to massive destuction in the storm areas during Sandy.Yours may be the only one left!

8. Sweetride

Sweetride Junior Member

but he's not a dealer! private party is always a couple grand under dealer pricing. why would anyone buy a vehicle from a random person for the same price they could buy one from a dealer with a warranty (even if its short) and someone they can go after if something goes wrong? if something doesn't sell, its always because of the price. anything priced right, sells quick

9. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Agreed. The pricing I saw did not include a plow.Depending how you look at it that's either good or bad.The plow must be worth at least 2k. Then the typical lowballers will come in and try to beat him up! I have no idea what it will sell for but you've got to start somewhere!

10. randomb0b123

from america

11. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

$11k with the plow would probably sell it.

I've been eyeing craigslist for a long time looking for the right deal. Pure junk with insane prices and unmotivated sellers is what I usually find. I just don't get it.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  12. randomb0b123

from america

might have to resort to that. i see alot of junk too priced higher than mine, more miles and beat, this truck is in fantastic condition and cheaper i dont understand why i cant sell it after seeing what the alternatives are id think people would come running for this........

13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

The open market and the economic times seem to be at a stalemate with each other. Sellers want top dollar because money is tight and buyers want to pay bottom dollar because money is tight.

That's the only thing I think of that explains it, thus I have passed on many possible deals.

14. randomb0b123

from america

ya ive had that problem too alot lately. insanely low offers on stuff

15. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Thats a good price, good luck.

16. randomb0b123

from america

thanks for the bump

17. randomb0b123

from america

got an offer of 11k cash. thinking about taking it. should i wait for snow and see if i can get more or just take it and run?

18. Sweetride

Sweetride Junior Member

that depends on if you really want to get rid of it. if its worth sitting on for another month or two for an extra $500-1k, then keep it for now. i think its a fair offer though. maybe try to squeeze $11,500 out of them?

19. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

If that's your best offer after 10 weeks, sell it.

20. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

If it's enough to accomplish your goals (pay off loan, buy replacement, whatever), take the money and run. In this market a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, right?