1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 Chevy S-10

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by the_lawn_wizard, Dec 7, 2008.

1. the_lawn_wizard

the_lawn_wizard Member

Hey everyone I am looking to get my first truck soon and I have been looking onlinefor somethig under $7000 and something that can pull my lawn care trailer and can also have a snow plow on it and I have found a 2003 chevy s-10 with 80,000 miles on it for just under $7000 and was wondering what stuff I need to get and what plow to get to put on it and all the other stuff that you need to plow.

Here is the like to it.
    http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7cE-%7cM-_9_%7cD-_5067_%7cN-N%7cR-30%7cI-1%2c7%7cP-PRICE+descending%7cQ-descending%7cZ-19352&aff=national&paId=275506278&recnum=19&leadExists=true

thanks

kyle

2. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

A Fisher Home Steader would work good on your truck JMO. Are you going to plow comercialy with this truck?

4. the_lawn_wizard

the_lawn_wizard Member

Can you plow with a truck that is 2 wheel drive and if you cant why?

5. the_lawn_wizard

the_lawn_wizard Member

Now I am turning 17 in march and would only use the truck to pull my mowers around and plow only driveways

6. mercer_me

You will spin alot if you don't have 4 wheel drive but you can put some weight in the back and it should be allrite.

7. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

due to traction, otherwise the rear wheels would just spin in one spot. you need power from front to back to push heavy snow. also helps on ice spots & uphill pushes! :waving:

8. the_lawn_wizard

the_lawn_wizard Member

ok so the fisher homesteader plow would work what eles would I need to plow I am new to plowing and have no clue but I think that my dad is geting me that truck so that is what I have to work with

9. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

S-10's aren't exactly commercial material, but I can be done. For under $7000, I would suggest and older full size Chevy or Ford F-Series. And a 2WD S-10 would suck in the snow, you couldn't put enough weight in the back to get any kind of traction

10. the_lawn_wizard

the_lawn_wizard Member

I have looked at the older chevy and the fords but really i want a truck that does good on gas and this s-10 gets 24mpg and i dot need a full sizt truck

11. mercer_me

You can get an older 3/4 ton in good condition with a plow for under $7000.

12. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

You can plow with a larger two wheel drive truck, but little trucks like s-10 just don't have the capacity for it. You would need more weight than the truck will hold just to try and maintain traction. If it would ever snow more than a couple inches, you'd never get the job done, with your truck being towed out of every driveway you try.
    Second problem is even with the 4X4 s-10's the axles are rather small to hold the weight of a plow. Don't get me wrong they will do it, but a 2 wheel drive basically has a dowel rod for a front axle, and even with timbrens ( air bag helpers) I think the front end will be eating alot of tires.
    Not trying to write a book here, but if I were you I would save up and buy the right equipment for the job. I don't know what kind or how many mowers your looking at pulling, but an S-10 can probably pull a total of about 1,000 pounds. That includes the trailer, mowers, waste, blowers, trimmers, well you get the picture. You will hear from alot of guys that use mostly 3/4 ton trucks to do what you are trying to do with a 1/4 ton truck. The more you over load and force it to do the work, the more time in the repair shop, and the money you will spend.
    I plow with an S-10 blazer, and love it for what it is, but it doesn't hold a candle to my 2500 chevy.

13. the_lawn_wizard

the_lawn_wizard Member

The thing is this is what I want and this is what my dad wants and is going to buy so I need to make the best out of it. All I am going to plow is drive ways and pull a trailer I dont want a 4x4 because they are worse on gas and this s-10 gets 25mpg

14. the_lawn_wizard

the_lawn_wizard Member

my trailer is a aluma and is a 5x10 and is 500lbs and my 2 mowers weigh a total of 1500lbs so a total of 2000lbs I know that a 2-10 can pull that fine and where I live in PA we dont get more that 5'' of snow most of the time in one snow storm. this is the truck that i am getting so i would like to know wverything that i need to plow snow because i am totally new at this

15. powernoje

powernoje Junior Member
    from CO

I have that exact truck but mine is the extra cab. It is the worst vehicle you could get for snow.

16. Summerlawn

Summerlawn Member

I have used a 2003 S-10 to plow with before and I will tell you that you will go nowhere without four wheel drive. You will have a terrible time just driving through some of the heavier snows you will get in the unplowed streets. Then when you try to push the snow you will just spin your wheels. The truck is more than capable of plowing drives, but you need four wheel drive.

17. the_lawn_wizard

the_lawn_wizard Member

can someone tell me like what eles i need beide a plow like the lights and wiring and the safty lights and stuff like that

18. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Just my opinion here, but spend your money on a snow blower, and pull it on the trailer to do your drives. You will be wasting alost of cash putting a plow on something that will nver do the job you expect it to do.
    If you going to pull 2,000 pounds on the back of that truck, you better plan on putting helper springs, or timbrens on it. Further more load range E tires, on at least the back, then maybe even look at something like 44 inch super swampers for the front, since the stock tires won't be touching the pavement. If you already have your mind made up as to what you are going to do then why come on here and ask questions of the good people and take up thier time?

19. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

if your worried about fuel mileage then forget about snowplowing, those two things don't go well with each other!! also go Back to the first thread you started about starting out with the Bronco, as i gave a paragraph long explanation about all the stuff you need!

20. the_lawn_wizard

the_lawn_wizard Member

because all i am going to plow is 6'' or less inches of snow on flat drive ways and i have a john deere snow blower all i want to know is what eles do i need