1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 Chevy HD Mount Install Question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by 160ClassBuck, Jun 3, 2008.

1. 160ClassBuck

160ClassBuck Member
    from WI

Well I bought 8'6" Super Duty with mounts and wiring off a 2004 Chevy HD. I left the mount bolted together and have the front drop arms bolted in place. Push bar beam height is right at 15.5" so I'm thinking all is good. Well looking at the mount again, it appears the truck's tow hooks will interfer with the Smart Hitch pin assembly because the push beam is about 1/2" lower than the hooks.

My question to fellow Chevy owners is did you drop the push beam down and keep the hooks or not install the hooks? I can drop the push beam atleast one hole, possibly a second but not much metal below the front hole on either side. Also, how far to the center from the fog light opening did you cut your air dam (mine is currently off) to accomodate the plow?

I don't have the wiring side installed to check how much if any the plow will conflict with the truck as currently set-up but suspect it will based on tape measurements.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, pictures would be great.

Thanks, 160

P4030217 small.jpg

P4030218 small.jpg

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

That looks correct to me. Looks exactly how mine does. Those hooks shouldnt be in the way. I didnt cut any of the valance. I just kinda pushed it up.

Picture-029.jpg

Picture-021.jpg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  3. 160ClassBuck

160ClassBuck Member
    from WI

Thanks 06HD!

Looks like I should finish the wiring side and see how it hook's up for the first time.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's nothing wrong with your install Buck. Looks fine judging by the pics. The light tower will clear the tow hooks just fine. And no need to cut or trim the air dam either if you decide to re-install it. Like 06HD mentioned, you simply push up on the push beam a little to deform the air dam slightly and it will all fit.

A tip though...if the truck currently sets "nose down" I'd recommend giving the T-bars a few turns now. That way after you use the plow once and realize it's too low, you won't need to go back and reset the push beam height after deciding to turn the T-bars to raise the front of the truck. I generally give them 4 turns initially before setting the mount height during a new install. Saves an adjustment later...

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  5. 06HD BOSS

if you have any questions do a search under my name. i think i explained most of my install on here. or just ask me. :cool:

6. 160ClassBuck

160ClassBuck Member
    from WI

Thanks guys. I will be cranking the TB's and then readjust the mount. Looking over HD's pictures in another thread I see his is 2 holes lower. Sure am glad I'm doing this now when I can take the time to do it right vs. a December night with 9" on the ground.

Thanks guys. Will post updates as I find the time.

7. 06HD BOSS

LOL glad youre working it out. Yeah i did my install in Sept...gave myself plenty of time lol. Keep us updated with pics too

8. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

My tow hooks are on my truck, it doesn't effect the mount or the hook up of the blade at all. Also, you don't have to cut the valance 06HD said. Mine is pushed up a little but thats what the Boss manual says. The Boss website has alot of good info, you will find alot there too. i took pictures of my install also, but only took side shots of the mount, nothing shows the valance. Did you turn the T- bars? I turned mine i think 5 or 6 times. The first Boss i had a a 8' SD. I have a V now and ill will be installing the Tims as well. Good luck

9. 160ClassBuck

160ClassBuck Member
    from WI

Well finished the mounting this weekend. Prior to my first post on this thread I had the mount on the truck, had to do a little grinding on the truck to allow the mount to go high enough to get the tow hook holes to l and (hate to admit) had already cut the valance:dizzy:

After reading the replies cranked the torsion bars 4 times each side and than an additional 2 on the drivers side to get the truck within 1/8" from side to side. Mount was now 1" too high so dropped it off, removed all bolts breaking two in the process, run to Fleet Farm and got it all back together at the right height. Mounted back on the truck, put on some touch-up flat black paint, re-attached the valance and done. Really wish I didn't cut the valance but plan to keep the truck until it doesn't run anymore so not too torn up over it.

Here are the pic's in order:

P4030210.JPG

P4030212.JPG

P4030214.JPG

P4030215.JPG

10. 160ClassBuck

160ClassBuck Member
    from WI

More pic's showing truck before and after cranking TB's.

Thank's guys for your input and guidance. Next up is installing the wiring harness.

P4070225.JPG

P4070227.JPG

P4080228.JPG

P4080229.JPG

P4080230.JPG

11. 06HD BOSS

Nice job on the install. The Tbars make it sit 10x better! The valance doesnt look all that bad being cut like that. Im confused on why you had to grind anything on the truck for the mount to fit? Because of that black plastic cover thing above the mount? I took mine off.

12. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Make sure you get an allignment after turning up the T bars.

13. 06HD BOSS

i turned mine 4-5 times and didnt get one. truck goes straight as an arrow and no uneven tread wear.

14. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I turned mine 4 turns and both front tires started wearing horrible. I got an allignment and rotated the tires and there wearing great now. Every truck is different I guess.

15. 160ClassBuck

160ClassBuck Member
    from WI

06HD - If you look at the pictues above there is one where the mount is butting up against the truck frame where the tow hook attaches. To get proper hole alignment I grinded the truck frame about a 1/4" so everything would line up (see pic below). Running the truck to work today and will see how the alignment held up.

truck mount grinded.jpg

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Dave, did you get the PM I sent?

17. 160ClassBuck

160ClassBuck Member
    from WI

B&B - replied tonight.

Since my last post I installed the wiring harness, blew a couple of fuses before learning the light adapter has an A and B side, ended up mounting the solenoid so it sits horizontal and not vertical, I don't think this will be a problem but would be glad to hear if anyone else had some experience. Not a whole lot of room under the hood with a diesel.

Went to hook up the plow for the first time and tower won't rise up. Motor/pump runs, can angle side to side fine. Valve solenoid has magnetism and if I tap on it with the handle of a screw driver sometimes the tower moves. Just need to take more time to work through it. Will likely take out the valve and see what condition that is in and do some searching on Plowsite for more info.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Got it Buck...

The first install is always the toughest. But it sounds like you have a good grasp on it now. :salute:

May want to go ahead an pull the Smart Hitch valve out and check it for smooth movement since you've already checked it for magnetism you know the electrics are working properly. 99% of the time it's simply a bit of contamination in the valve bore/spool, so try cleaning the valve first rather than just replacing it if you find it is a little "sticky".

Doesn't hurt to give all the electrical connections a good check over as well as preventative maintenance while your there.

19. 06HD BOSS

Hey Buck... dont forget pics with it all hooked up! been waiting to see those

20. 160ClassBuck

160ClassBuck Member
    from WI

Wiring wasn't too bad to do. Finding a place for the solenoid took a bit: first I tried on the right sidewall but quickly realized the hood spring would make contact, second I tried to the cab wall and the next day heard a clicking sound with the wipers on and realized the 1/2" screws were in the way of the wiper assembly. Finally I mounted it like this and it seems to be in the clear. Having some problems powering up the tower that B&B is walking me throught (Thanks from a Newbie!). Will post pic's after I get it all working.

P1010254.JPG