1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 chevy HD - few questions??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jvm81, Jan 23, 2014.

1. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Bought new and has been great. 32ft 5th wheel hooked daily during the summer. Snow only with side walk crew in winter. Reg cab. 125K miles. Replaced altnertor, battery, steering pump, shocks, struts and oil, tires the usual. Well my truck is at shop getting new NOx sensor in for DEF bs on the dmax engine. So this truck is sitting and I took it home today. Going down the rode the back window shatters - rough road but -10 air temp but still. Cleaned it out. The drivers side door you can hardly get out of b/c of the handle - like its lacking lift on the handle, the driver window barely goes up either. The driver side deat has a softball sized chuck of foam out and I can see steel. The lights where you see if your in drive or rear verse must out cant even see it but I can see the miles etc ok. Driver speaker must be out cuz it doesn't work just passenger side. The door chime is terrrible loud and very annoying. Both doors you need to slam shut so they shut or that annoying chime never stops. The tailgate handle is also missing and you need to pull to "wires" together to make the tail gate open. So how to fix things and what to do. NEver tore a door apart b/f, or a seat (cost???) or the lighting thing or the tailgate handle. Oh what to do!!

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Ummmm…. my eyes hurt… what do you think I should do? P.S. are you sure they did struts on an '03 2500HD?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Sorry… had to do it LOL But seriously- take it item by item and repair them as you have time/ability. Otherwise, either let the little things go, or take it to a good shop.

4. damian

damian Senior Member

cant learn you to be a mechaninic in an article or two. I would suggest a guy like you to do whatever it is you do for a living and pay a guy to do the repairs. Or get the factory service manuals from alldata or the gm dealer and read up on all your problems, buy thousands of dollars in tools and attack one at a time. good luck . On the other hand If your post was just meant as a joke good job it got me laughing.

5. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Kinda joking - I never use it as its a work truck that guys get in and go but after driving the thing my goodness - its has some issues.

6. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

Here's the door stuff... I've got an 04 GM 2500HD...

Pry this off
    [​IMG]

Then this
    [​IMG]

Then this
    [​IMG]

7. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

Then un screw here
    [​IMG]

And here
    [​IMG]

And then remove the handle clip(unless you have power windows)
    [​IMG]

8. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

Then pull up on the panel
    [​IMG]

Then you'll be into the door. Looks like this after removing the plastic sheet that is stuck to the metal behind the door panel...

[​IMG]

9. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Thank you now that's hands on demonstration. Any idea on why the compass/temp doesn't work no longer? It's in the mirror.

10. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

No idea... I don't have that option ;) Check the owners manual for the fuses and start there.

11. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Great job explaining fantastic! Thumbs Up

12. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

Do your brake lines too

13. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

Thank you!!