1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 chevy 8 lug wheels

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sharpcut 1, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Does anyone know if 2003 Chev 8 lug stock wheels will fit a 81-87 Chev 2500 series pickup?? Any difference in backspace from 2wd to 4wd?? I read somewhere about the new rims being a metric pattern?? is that correct?? thanks for your help JOHN
    P.S. are the lug holes the same size??

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Bolt pattern is still the same John (8 on 6.5), so technically they will fit the solid axle era trucks.

The issue is the back spacing is greater on the IFS era trucks. Put's the wheels against the tie rods.

3. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Thanks, B&B. If I have a 2wd summer ride, will they work on there?? Thanks, JOHN

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I don't believe they'll work on a 2WD either John but I've never actual hand fit one myself (on a 2WD).

The 99-up 8 lug forged aluminum wheels have 4 1/2" - 4 5/8" back spacing. The older 2WD trucks were mostly 4 3/8". I think it would either be really close, or would actually hit.

5. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I dont know if it helps but I had the tire/wheels off of my 99' 3/4 ton 4x4 Dodge on my 70' chev 3/4 2wd. Worked just fine.

6. CUCV

CUCV Junior Member
    from NH

I tried putting my 03 3/4 ton aluminum wheels on my 86 3/4 ton Chevy. They did fit but the 03 (newer style) bolts are metric, so the 03 lug nuts will not work on the 86 studs. The 86 lug nuts did not seat well on the aluminum rims. You would have to do some research to get lug nuts that would work. I plan to try to put my 07 steel wheels on the 86 and see how they fit.