1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 Chevy 2500HD Strobes and Equipment

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wxmn6, Jan 23, 2003.

1. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

A few weeks ago my father got a new 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD that was bought from his work. It is an extended cab, short box, with Vortec 6.0L engine. His truck is very similar to my ’02 2500HD except the exterior design. His truck do have a few features that GM added or is better than mine, but GM also got rid of a few stuff like under the hood/dash lights, trailer wiring harness, no trim along the box, etc. His truck is nice but I think my ’02 2500HD power dome looks better than his. :D

He is the fire chief for my town so I was busy for a week installing a lot of stuff. Yeah, a lot of lights! Guess how many lights I installed? 12! Yes, that’s right, 12 lights! :cool: I also installed several other things as well. It turned out great and my father likes it a lot. I have been taking pictures and I thought that you would like to see my work on his truck. :) A lot of pictures to post so please be patient while it loads up.

Some of you may be wondering why I am posting pictures of these emergency equipment but for some of you, it can help give you some idea for installing amber strobes and so on for warning the public while you are doing the job like snowplowing and salting. Also I know that some of you are a volunteer firefighter so I am sure you would like to see it and perhaps you have some officers who have a Chevy truck and need some ideas for a setup like this. ;)

2. wxmn6

Pic #1 – Here is a picture of Nova Microthin red strobe that I installed behind the grill. It is very nice. It is waterproof and has short-proof connectors inside it, and is designed nicely.

front red grill strobe closeup.jpg

Last edited: Jan 23, 2003
  3. wxmn6

Pic #2 – A red colored hide-a-flash strobe tube is installed inside the top part of fog light unit. I had to take the fog light unit out with a couple of screws on the top, disconnect the fog light, and take it out. Then the thick black plastic guard that wraps around the fog light unit had to come out. Drilled a hole on the top of the fog light unit and installed the strobe there. Also have to drill a hole on the black plastic guard so wires can go through it. Put the black plastic guard back on around the fog light and then reinstall the fog light unit to the truck. It is a bit complicated but it is not too difficult.

front red hideaflash strobe in fog light case.jpg

4. wxmn6

Pic #3 – Two clear hide-a-flash strobe tubes are installed to the taillight unit each. Only can put a couple of them in two big red part of taillight. No room for strobe in back-up light which could be a problem for some of ’03 2500HD owners who would want to put amber strobe in the back-up light lens for rear warning. Because I installed the second strobe tube so close to the backup light that it was able to send some light through the backup light lens which is a good thing. There are only four strobes in the rear, when they are turned on it will looks like 6 strobes are on! One note about it – I found out when I tried to put the taillight back to its mounting location that the second strobe tube would touch the bolt of tailgate that holds the tailgate cable. It only touches the back of strobe tube slightly so as long as the wires are being diverted away from the bolt it should not be a concern.

rear tailight with hideaflash strobes.jpg

5. wxmn6

Pic #4 – Two strobe cables with connectors on it all ready to plug to the strobe tubes.

rear tailight mounting location with strobe cables.jpg

6. wxmn6

Pic #5 – A Nova Regulated 160watts, 8 heads power supply is installed to the rear of the cab, under the rear seat. It also has a fan in it for cooling. Easy to install on the driver side rear cab because there is almost nothing under the floor of the truck to worry about hitting something with a screw. I also drilled a couple of two 1” holes with a hole saw for routing strobes cables and wiring.

strobe power supply installed with two holes drilled.jpg

7. wxmn6

Pic #6 – All 8 strobe cables are routed and have connectors installed and all ready to plug to the power supply.

strobe power supply with cables and connectors installed ready to plug in.jpg

8. wxmn6

Pic #7 – Strobe power supply is all wired.

strobe power supply all wired.jpg

9. wxmn6

Pic #8 – Survivor flashlight is installed right next to the strobe power supply. It is on constant power since it draws very small amount of current.

survivor flashlight installed along strobe power supply.jpg

10. wxmn6

Pic #9 – Switch box, radio and siren are ready to be wired. Yep it’s fun!

switch box, radio, siren ready to be wired.jpg

11. wxmn6

Pic #10 – I mounted the solenoid on the side of the big black fuse box inside the engine compartment. Easy to do. Just pop out the black plastic box and drill two holes, secure the solenoid to the box with bolts and nuts and put it back in place. Also see the wiring and fuses that is connected to the constant power side of solenoid. Most of the equipment that I installed is on the switched side, and a large gauge wire is run from it to the aftermarket fuse panel that is installed inside the truck under the dash near where the pedal is and where the hole is drilled for routing wiring to the organizer.

inside engine compartment - wiring, fuses, solenoid.jpg

12. wxmn6

Pic #11 – A maxi-fuse holder is installed right to the positive battery terminal and a large gauge wire is run to the solenoid. Also the headlight flasher relay is installed on another side of the big black fuse box. I did the same procedure for mounting it to the box as with the solenoid.

inside engine compartment - wiring, headlight flasher relay, main fuse.jpg

13. wxmn6

Pic #12 – Switch box, radio and siren are all wired and installed to the organizer. I wired the first switch on the switch box as the master switch, so that way it will control the rest of 5 switches with only one switch.

switch box, radio, siren installed to organizer.jpg

14. wxmn6

Pic #13 – Switch box and radio turned on.

switch box, radio, siren turned on.jpg

15. wxmn6

Pic #14 – Whelen visor strobes mounted on the passenger side sunvisor. I hardwired it to the switch box.

visor strobes.jpg

16. wxmn6

Pic #15 – All Done!!

all done!!.jpg

17. wxmn6

Pic #16 – Front strobes and headlight flashers on. Visor strobes are on at that time, but it is self contained, so it is not hooked up to the power supply. As a result they don't always flash at exact the same moment. So it is too difficult to capture a picture of both grill/fog strobes with visor strobes at the same time!

front lights on.jpg

18. wxmn6

Pic #17 – Another picture of front strobes and headlight flashers on.

front lights on 2nd pic.jpg

19. wxmn6

Pic #18 – Rear strobes on. Note that the second strobe (red) also illuminated the backup light too.

rear lights on.jpg

20. wxmn6

Pic #19 – Another picture of rear strobes.

rear lights on 2nd pic.jpg