1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 chevy 2500HD Questions?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by deere615, Oct 30, 2009.

1. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Hi guys, I am looking at getting a second truck. One I am currently looking at is a 2003 chevy 2500HD RC/LB 4x4 6liter with 90,500 miles on it. I went to check it out today its in pretty good condition besides the bed being a little beat up. It was a crane companies service truck so at least the maintenance was probably done on it.

My biggest concern is it doesn't have the snow plow prep package. I can't remember what it all comes with but At the least I probably would want a tranny cooler and a bigger alternater(unless 3/4tons already have a bigger one copared to my 03 half ton with the plow prep?).What else besides the roof lamp would be important and how much-tranny cooler especially would I be looking at to buy what I need and put that stuff on?

Next question is the truck seemed to run and shift great besides a rattle on the exhaust which I beliveve is the cover over the cadilitic converter?

Any other comments or concerns about these trucks, I am looking at 03-07 chevy 2500/3500HD's with the 6.0s, also what would you guys be paying for the truck I described?
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Larger alternator and the correct fan clutch are the only two that really matter as far as differences Brad so don't let the lack of PP concern you too much. The critical thing will be what FAWR is has if you'll be going to a dealer to have a plow installed. A light axle rating will seriously limit you "legal" choices.

MAY have a slightly lighter set of T-bars but it will have an external trans cooler regardless.
  3. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

make sure the rattle is a cover and not a baffle in side the muffler. I had a rattle that got much much worse over a month or three. The OEM muffler was $700 it comes with once cat and includes the tail pipe all weleding in to one assembly
  4. articstorm

articstorm Member

A dealer would only give about 6 to 8K for this truck on trade, but I would expect to buy a truck like this for 9 to 11K.
  5. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

great truck!!! get it.

my truck has a bad baffle in the muffler too and i was quoted 1000$ to get it fixed. i decided to deal with it because it goes away once truck is warmed up.
  6. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

WOW $1,000.00 I know the muffler is $700 but it only takes 15 minutes to install
  7. deere615

Ok great guys thanks for the replys so far. As for the muffler thing It really seemed like the cover but if it is inside I could probably deal with it for a while and maybe later down the road get it fixed, it wasnt to bad I am just very cautious when buying a used truck and was listening for everything.

B&B thats good to know that it will ahve a trans cooler, Since I did the fan clutch on my truck and know how to do alternators I know those 2 are no big deal. Also all it would probably get is an 8ft straight blade.
  8. deere615

well guys I bought the truck:
    But 2 quick questions
    What is the normal operating temperate of the trasmission on these things?
    Also on the way home the speedometer started getting a bit messed up. It would go up fine but skip when coming down. Then it was up to 120 when I was only doing 70. Now it seems like its all over the place. What would cause this? Is it hard/expensive to fix?
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

130*-150*-ish empty and 170*-190*-ish loaded is normal running temp. For the speedo issue search here using the keyword "cluster" and you'll get the details there.

And congrats on the purchase. :drinkup:
  10. deere615

Thanks! Ok it was running at 145 It just seemed low to me but I never knew what they run at. And yeah a quick search at google after my post I found out my problem Thanks B&B!