1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 Chevy 2500HD power options need help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by letmeplowu, Oct 1, 2009.

1. letmeplowu

letmeplowu Junior Member

I have power everything on this truck.
    The pdl and pw work only when the car is in park. When in drive, none of the buttons on the drivers door work, however the ones on the passenger door work all the time.

The truck has not been in any accidents. no fuses are blown.

Sometimes, after driving for at least 10 minutes, the drivers door power buttons start functioning again.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. MRHORSEPOWER1

MRHORSEPOWER1 Member

Hi, I think It could be BCM (body computer module) problem that might need to be reprogrammed. I suppose you probably will have to take it to the dealer and have them reprogram BCM. It might have something to do with security problem.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it only affected the PDL's I wouldn't disagree but the fact that it also has a PW issue (which are in no way tied to the BCM) I would likely suspect a broken wire in the pass-thru harness in the door jamb. Happens more than guys realize.

4. letmeplowu

letmeplowu Junior Member

i hate going to dealers for anything, for the most part they are useless.

I will take to door apart and check all the wires including the pass through and let you guys know.

Thanks for your insight.

5. MRHORSEPOWER1

MRHORSEPOWER1 Member

I agree with you on checking the wirings through door jambs. Power windows and power locks does go to BCM (body control module). I checked on Mitchell Ondemand5 online this morning and looked at wiring schematics and they both are routed to BCM.

6. letmeplowu

letmeplowu Junior Member

Dumb question, but where is the BCM located?

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

subscribed

8. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I checked and couldn't find any bulletins. There was mention of something similar on the passenger side and said to check grounds for the PDM, but that's it. Thought I'd let you know.

9. letmeplowu

letmeplowu Junior Member

what is a PDM?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

But only for the RAP (retained accessory power) function which doesn't come into play while the ignition is in the run or accessory position. :salute:

11. MRHORSEPOWER1

MRHORSEPOWER1 Member

On lower left dash, below steering column

12. MRHORSEPOWER1

MRHORSEPOWER1 Member

Do you have any friends who might have Tech 2 and check to see if any problems show up on it? Might give it a try.

13. letmeplowu

letmeplowu Junior Member

unfortunately no.. I hope someone in NH or MA who reads this might be able to help.
    I will drive 100 miles if I have too.

14. letmeplowu

letmeplowu Junior Member

Update

Well, wanted to tell everyone how I finally fixed the PDL and PW issue.

I removed the drivers door panel and checked all the wires, traced them thru the door jam all the way to the kick panel. The wires look good, no scraping, no pinched wires. So I was a bit puzzled.

I look at the back of the door panel and saw what I thought to be coffee stains, uhmmm, maybe the previous owner spilled coffee... voila.. that it was. I removed the door module and saw remnants of coffee stains on the plastic.

I decided to take to take apart the electronics off the inside of the module. I took a q-tip and some alcohol and rubbed it all over the green circuit board, although it didnt appear to be dirty to the naked eye, the q-tips where black.

Now everything works poifect. I bet some coffee or water got in there at some point.

Just thought to put it out there for anyone else that has the same problem.

Thanks to everyone that assisted.

I wonder how much money the dealer would have charged me?

15. MRHORSEPOWER1

MRHORSEPOWER1 Member

Good job! You just saved yourself good amount of money from dealer. Dealer could've replaced the whole drivers door switch module plus diagnostic fee. I'd say maybe $400 to $500 depends on the area and location.

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not a bit surprised. Guys who run with the window down all the time kills them too.