1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 chevy 2500hd 4x4 problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dbduts, Nov 11, 2012.

1. dbduts

dbduts Member

hi i have a 03 2500hd chevy .when i hit 4x4 hi it goes in but slowly.then when i try to take it out it does but i hear a slite grinding noise,like it not out of 4x4 in transfer case, then it goes away .then the 2x4 lite stays on but when i shut off the truck and restart it it goes back into 4x4 and lite goes to 4x4 then i have to rest to 2x4. i did have a trany replaced last year.any ideas

2. mikes-plow

mikes-plow Senior Member

i'm not sure about this but i had an 01 that wouldnt go in 4x4 and when it did it wouldnt come out until it felt like it. i had to replace the 4x4 actuator. what a joke that was, plastic threaded into aluminum.

3. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Member

Sounds like the encoder motor on the transfer case is sticking or starting to seize up.