1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 Chevy 1500 4WD Not Working

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Chevy 1500, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Chevy 1500

Chevy 1500 Member

I need some help. When i engage the 4WD in Hi and Lo the light comes on and nothing. I got stuck in the snow toady with it. Any suggestions as to what it could be and were to start before i go nuts......

2. Chevy 1500

Chevy 1500 Member

More information

when i put the truck in 4wd the front shaft from the t-case does not spin. when i have it in 2wd it will spin. I jacked the truck up and when i put it in 4wd the front tires spin free. The light comes on every time and i can hear the motor on the t-case engage. Like i said when i engage the 4wd the front shaft will not spin. Please give me some advice on what to check next!!!!! I am lost.......

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

By your description the T-case itself is actually engaging...but the front diff isn't. Likely due to the front actuator...or the wiring to it. Check the actuator connector plug to be sure the wires and connections are good. If it all looks good, replace the actuator. The newer trucks don't eat actuators like the previous generations did but like anything else electrical/mechanical they can and do fail.

Takes 5 minutes to change the actuator.

4. Chevy 1500

Chevy 1500 Member

Actuator

I just used a volt meter and i have twelve volts at the actuator. When i put it in 4wd i hear the actuator for about two seconds. Does the actuator just unscrew from the differental? B&B Thanks again for your help.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep, just grab it gently with a pair of channel lock pliers and unthread it from the diff housing.

You can check it's operation after you remove it by reconnecting the wiring plug and shifting the T-case into 4WD hi or low. You should see the actuator move...

If it passes the test, then you've got internal problems...:cry:

6. Chevy 1500

Chevy 1500 Member

Another question

OK, I did the actuator and it took me about five hours:realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad: Old actuator broke and i had to gently chisel the old one out. Then i thought i messed up the threads, all in all i got the job done. 4wd works again, I wanted to know if it is normal when i turn hard either way the feels weird, hard to explain but i think it is normal. Also when the 4wd is engaged i can hear the front differential making like a humming noise, is this normal?

7. Chevy 1500

Chevy 1500 Member

Front Differential

Can someone please explain to me how to change the front differential fluid and what to use? Thanks.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like everything is working normal. Your "weird" feeling is just a little driveline bind from turning and making tight maneuvers on hard ground...which you don't want to do any more than necessary. Add's unnecessary stress on the truck.

Drain plug is on the lower driver side of the diff. Should take a 13mm socket. Fill plug is right above it, should be a 15mm.

Any GL-5 rated 75W-90 gear oil is fine. Consider a synthetic based fluid if the budget allows..

And yes the actuators can be little problematic if they're broken off in the diff tube. Been there before. :realmad: