1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 Big E

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BWhite, Sep 17, 2003.

1. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

Made my pilgrimage to the BIG E today . They had a decent showing of distributors of snowplow equipment .

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

What show was this? Isn't the one coming up in Nov.?

3. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

No Cat it is:

The BIG E

(Eastern States Exposition) in Springfield Mass.

It runs through next Sunday. There are always a few equipment distributers, plow distributers, and truck dealers showing their equipment there. It is the largest fair in the Northeast if not the whole country.

If you've never been your missing out.

Jay

4. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

missing from Big E

One plow manufacturer sadly missing was Blizzard . I wanted to see an 810

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

By what measure?

I had heard all the hype about this fair and went a couple years ago, but was underwhelmed.

6. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Pelican I guess you didn't have the Maine baked potatoes :)

Thats why I keep goin back for the Maine baked potatoes, Dells frozen Lemonades from RI and some Fresh pie and cheese from VT.

Jay

7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed myself. I stayed in the Rhode Island building for the seafood, those potatoes were just too pricey for me. Later I found the smoked pork chops, mmmmm.

We have an annual Dutchess County Fair that is about the same size, I just expected the Big E to be BIG!

8. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

LOL yea i guess it really isn't as enourmous as the HUGE E in BIG E would lead you to believe but the state buildings are always a good time and the snow plow booths near the gate are always a great stop to make TWICE each time I go (once on the way in and once upon exit :D)

Yes Pelican Kenyon's seafood is good in RI :)

Jay

9. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Not what it used to be

I went to the Big E a couple times back in the 60s, when it actually had stuff to see. The space program was in full bloom and there were full size rocket mockups there, literally acres of ag and industrial equipment. Dairy barns were huge and full and the Modern Living Building was composed of various tool and appliance exhibits.

Went last in '94 and my impressions was that it we mostly velvet Elvis and junk food. My son and I got our fill of it in about three hours. We were expecting to find a boat load of vendors displaying landscaping and snow equipment. There was some, but not enough to make it worth the trip.

10. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Re: Not what it used to be

HAHAHA the Modern Living Building...............Those big buildings are filled with "AS SEEN ON TV" crap usually now. The guys with the head sets saying WOW LOOK I can scrape my paint with a key and dig in deep and my product takes the whole scratch out LOL

Jay

11. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

yea i like the one where they load up a piece of car with a ton wax wipe it off then spray it with paint let dry for 5 seconds then add wax and wipe off again then they say my wax takes off spraypaint on your car..well dont you think 850 layers of wax have something to do with that :rolleyes:

12. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

I think thats the guy who says his product is endorsed by The Corvette Registry.

Jay

13. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

whats the matter no work today i worked last night and tonight and oyea the main potatoes are the shisnit:D im watching the hurricane enter n.c. dont look to good for them poor people i feel bad for them they should come up here and check out the big e

14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Alan, you and I are of the same breed. A fair gots to have tractors and livestock to be a fair. The Dutchess County Fair has Livestock Hill, where farm kids raise livestock for competition.

The Big E shoulds be called The Big Fleamarket.

livestock hill.jpg

15. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

I saw

Lots and lots of livestock,tractors smelled lots of manure even stepped in some all at the Big E . Even saw 2 elephants and every as seen on TV sales pitch imaginable .They have it all for the city slicker- to the rural farmer

16. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Speaking of Tractors. I can't wait till next weekend when they have the pulls at the Durham Fair. Ill be there with my buddies. They are pullin with a John Deere A.

Jay

17. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I've got one, a '52 with hydraulics pop pop pop poppumpkin:

18. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

What a beautiful sounding machine :)

He has his parked in his regular garage at his house and it makes the roof seem to bounce up and down LOL.

and I know the neighbors love it too HAHAHA

Jay

19. DanG

DanG Senior Member

I've went when i was younger with my family and it just didn't live up to my expectations.

Didn't make it to any of the fairs around here this year :

Most years i try to make it to at least two of them. The Altamont fair for the antique tractor(Cubs, A's and super A's and like that) pulls.
    And either the Scagticoke fair or Washington County fair for the big boys (multi engine tractors, alky burners, & super stocks)

Have to love it when they get the multiple turbo's wound up on the big diesel tractors and the black smoke pours out.

Dan

20. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

A man after my own heart! I like the modified class way better than the unlimiteds. We don't have real pulls down here to often.

Every now and then you see parts fly out the bottom of those things!