1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 auto tranny losing OD

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by GDH, Jan 28, 2005.

1. GDH

GDH Junior Member

Gentleman;

I did a search in the archives and haven't found this question asked before. I have a 03 2500 HO diesel w/auto transmission w/just under 30k on it. A couple of weeks ago I lost OD. I took it in for service and was told that the computer had a couple error messages on it but they didn't know what caused the problem. I guess they reset the computer and it worked fine until a couple of days ago. Same thing happened again. I have an appt to have the dealer look at it again but am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so what is causing it? thanks for any info you can provide. GDH

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I believe your tranney is on the way out.. the symptoms i experienced with mine (98 2500)(Dodge)
    1. When shifting in to reverse i noticed that I had to wait a second for it
    to engage.
    2. LOST over drive, new filter & fluid (to little to late!) got over drive back.
    3. reverse starts to slip during moderate to heavy acceleration. then fails.
    this all happened in 200mi.
    I was told that there is not much to adjust in the tranny.
    I took out the planetary and every thing else!!!
    I did't have time to swap trannys my self so it cost $2000 to get it fixed :realmad:

3. GDH

GDH Junior Member

SnoCommander

Thanks for the info....not that it's what I want to hear. Luckily I purchased the extended warranty so I won't be burned for any more then the deductible. The thing that bothered me after the last incident was that the Dodge dealer had no clue as to what the problem was. We'll see what happens at the dealer visit. I'll see if anyone else has any thoughts.

4. GDH

GDH Junior Member

dodge tranny problem

I am sorry SnoFarmer for not getting your log in correct.

GDH

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I don't know what is going on at Dodge service depts. they told me that my track bar was fine when it was worn out!! I told them that I would pay for it my self, just install a new one!!( covered by warranty on my 01) when I came to pick it up they say NO charge? ???
    I have had an ongoing problem , my truck would surge_miss at low speed, and once again they told me nothing was wrong!! So I cleaned the throttle position sensor and problem solved.
    my heater core was leaking, you could smell it, windows had a film on them, there was moisture on the bottom of the heater duct. and once again they could not fond the problem. so, I had to tell them to replace the heater core. and once again problem solved....
    5-***** star service my A$$!!! more like half star!!
    Well I hope you have better luck with your dealer.

6. bsnead

bsnead Junior Member
    from zone 7

I had the same problem with an 03 diesel.It turns out a seal in the tranny where the wiring harness goes in was leaking and would short out the wiring.They replaced the seal and harness and everything was ok.

7. GDH

GDH Junior Member

bsnead;

I will pass that along to the service advisor. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I hope its that simple for my truck.
    Did they figure that out on the first visit?

8. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

didn't the 03 diesel come with 5 year 100,000 warentee. if so there should be no deductable. my 02 came with this warentee

9. Ian

Ian Member

Dieselram.com

Post the question on Dieselram.com. Great site and it is free to join. If you get a reply from Oregonpharmer or Tim Holt, consider it the best advise you can get. Tim Holt runs/owns a transmission shop that specializes in diesel trucks.

10. VictoryRedK1500

VictoryRedK1500 Member

I believe the 5yr/100,000mile warranty only applies to the engine. What about Chrysler's 7/70 Powertrain Pledge though?

11. GDH

GDH Junior Member

Gdh

Ian/VictoryRedk1500/dforbes;

thank you for the input. I wasn't charged on the visit where they reset the computer so maybe it won't be an issue anyway. I know I am covered under the extended warranty anyway. Really I am more interested in them just getting it right so I don't have to keep going back. I don't use this truck much in the winter (I plow w/another truck) but I use it ALOT starting in March and can't be without it after that. Ian - I am going to take your advice and try that website too. Again, thanks to all that are taking the time to give me advice.

12. bsnead

bsnead Junior Member
    from zone 7

Took 3 trips to the dealer.They replaced all sorts of sensors before DC tech told them what was going on.

13. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Dodge has a 7 year/70,000 mile powertrain warranty, so your transmission should be covered.

14. GDH

GDH Junior Member

Gdh

Well, here's the update so far. I dropped the truck off yesterday morning at 8am. I called at 3:30 to see what was up and was told they would like to keep it overnight. I spoke to the service writer this morning and they now want to keep it for "a couple of days" He said they did check out the seal and harness but they didn't think that was the problem. They think it's the throttle sensor at this point. He said the tech is going to take the truck home tonight w/a computer hooked up to see if they gather any more info. I insisted they call me tomorrow w/an update as I don't want this truck just sitting around while they do nothing but scratch their heads. I'll plan on updating this thread until I get this resolved.

15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

GDH,
    I had a probled with a throtel senser on my o1 it would serg, kind of like having a bad miss, cleand it my self after the dealer told me thay can't find any thing wrong ( no falt code is sent untill it fails compleatly) and severl trips latter. the tranney guy said it was the motor and the motor guy said it's the tranney :dizzy: so, I went to a different dealer...
    O.k. present...
    the over drive would let go and down shift into drive way to easily and I noticed a hesitation when shifting in to reverse and the throttle sensor is dirty again so I took it to the dealer( under warranty)
    they had her for a couple of hr and i get a call: Hey! your tranney is shot, at 65k, I lost my tranney in my 98 at 66k, both were serviced every year.
    Hopefully it is some thing small like a sensor but with dodges track record lately who knows. This tranney thing just has to stop soon I hate to bad mouth my dodges but this is ridiculous...

16. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Here's you biggest problem- do not drive with OD on unless you will maintain more than 1800RPM. The OD unit in the 518 is a simple spring clutch thingy and the tranny doesn;t have the line pressure under about 1800 RPM to positivly engage it so it tends to slip. Always shift off the OD unless you will be doing like highway speeds (there is no appreciable milage change- been doing this for 4 years).
    The tranny has bands to adjust but that's it up to 2000 (I think- 01 has no band adjustment afaik). Could be a multitude of problems causing this from a broken/loose wire in a connector to low tranny fluid to a broken valve spring in the tranny. The local 5 star took 3 days to figure out a bad relay in mine that would not throw when cold- truck had that problem apparently from shortly after new and noone could figure it out. They had 3 techs working on it for 3 days (and only charged me for less than half of that labor- it was out of warranty).

17. GDH

GDH Junior Member

gdh

I guess the thing that is bothering me is that you'd think that with all the computer diagnostics available today a service dept would be better able to sort these issues out. Could I be the first person in the country w/this problem? Seems like there would be a troubleshooting database within the dodge system for a dealer to research? When I suggested the idea about looking at the seal and harness as offered by bsnead on this thread, I got the impression that the was offended. When I asked him about that this morning he said no that's not the problem.....guess we'll see won't we?
    GDH :(

18. bsnead

bsnead Junior Member
    from zone 7

I should clarify a little.The seal that leaked was on some sensor in the tranny,not a tranny seal.They replaced 2 speed sensors before they figured out the problem.They ended up replacing the seal and that portion of the wiring harness.

19. GDH

GDH Junior Member

Ahh, maybe that is why the service writer didn't seem interested. Thanks for the clairification as it may come in handy tomorrow when they report back to me.
    GDH

20. ramit

ramit Junior Member

Hey SnoFarmer my 99 Dodge surges and hesitates too once in awhile. How exactly do you clean the throttle sensor? Do you have to take it right off?