1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 ABS light

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by thermo, Jun 26, 2012.

1. thermo

thermo Member
    from USA

I have a 2003 silverado 1500 and these past two days the abs light has been coming on right after startup. Most of the time it stays on for about 5 seconds, gives two chimes, and then goes off. However sometimes it will stay on and flash off and on for a couple of minutes. I dont really have time to go have it scanned this week or next. Any idea what the problem is, and am in danger of driving it? Also I have noticed that on a few occasions as I was coming to a stop(below 10mph) the brake pedal would vibrate/pulse. Thanks for your help.

2. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

Faulty ABS sensor??? Did you drive through any water recently?

3. thermo

thermo Member
    from USA

I can't recall driving through any water recently. The truck has 103,000 miles on it. How could I check to see if it was a faulty ABS sensor?

4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

It's being caused by rust build up between your sensors and hub.You need to dis-assemble the sensor--plug the hole carefully so no debris falls in,get yourself a NEW razor blade on your favorite scraper to remove all rust/dirt,then polish with fine sandpaper or plumber's crocus cloth to get that metal shiny.Also clean off bottom of sensor. Place a small amount of grease to ward off future corrosion,re- assemble and that's it.That build up of rust greatly affects the miniscule clearance needed for the ABS to work properly.Do it VERY soon because eventually you will lose braking completely for a few feet before the brakes engage which gets real hairy.Ask me how I know.

5. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

Check your front wheel bearings. I had similar issue with mine and it was a wheel bearing.

6. thermo

thermo Member
    from USA

joshg - Im glad you mentioned a wheel bearing because I have been having a sqeak that corresponds to the speed for around a month but wasnt sure what it was. However I am not sure how to test to see if its a bad bearing other than grab the tire and see how much movement it has???

tuney443 - I have heard that the rust build up is a common problem. Thank you for the explanation on how to clean it.

7. thermo

thermo Member
    from USA

So I went out this afternoon and jacked the truck up and the drivers side tire had quite a bit of wiggle to it so im pretty sure its a wheel bearing now. How hard are these to change, or would I be better off taking it to a shop?

8. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

If you have time to wait for the part, check autoparts123.com. Last time I looked they had timken for around 125.

Take the wheel off, center nut, unhook the abs sensor and there is three bolts on the back side of the hub. Take a hammer and hit away.

9. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

There are some decent video how-to on youtube for wheelbearing. I decided I didn't have time to tackle on my own and I needed some other work done. I think the difficulty depends somewhat on age/corrosion, your skill and tools.

10. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Are you sure that wiggle was from your wheel bearing or your tie rods,pitman,and/or idler arm? Did you spin your wheel and listen for any type of a growling noise? The bearing could be bad,but I would check them out first before you might be prematurely replace them.

11. thermo

thermo Member
    from USA

Got it fixed. Thank all of you for your help. I havn't heard any more squeaking and the abs light has not kicked back on so everything seems to be ok.

tunny443 - When I jacked it up and spun the tire I could hear a squeak so that made me pretty certain that it was a bearing.