1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 2500Hd pulling

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dj89, Oct 28, 2009.

1. dj89

dj89 Senior Member
    from wny

My 03 2500 is pulling when i use the breaks it pulls to the drivers side. New rotors, pads, line DS,Calpier PS, New slides both sides...... The dealer said the PS was loking up so i replased it. But it still pulling? Should i put a new line in?

2. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

definitely. lines are reasonably cheap and are usually the first culprit.

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

C'mon, You can tell us before Big Mike gets here...did you let the caliper hang like a piñata while doing your break job? :D

My first thought to this would be to replace the other caliper, however if it is pulling left, it means the problem is on the right. Did you check for a crimped line on the PS?

4. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Do I understand correctly that you only replaced the caliper on one side? They should always be done together to keep them even. New brake stuff on only one side is never a good idea.

5. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

In all my years of wrenching, I've NEVER heard of replacing both calipers at the same time. rotors, yes, pads, yes...but calipers? come on

6. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

If one side goes bad, the other isn't far behind. They've been on for the same length of time and been subjected to the same environment. In all my years of wrenching, I've never only done one side...

7. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

hmmm, ok. to each his own i guess. I don't know everything, but I know a feller...and he doesn't change both calipers at the same time either :D

8. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Not worth arguing about for sure, it's just a preference. What confuses me is the left side working BETTER when the right side has the new caliper. Perhaps the new caliper has more internal friction or a slightly smaller piston? I'm clutching at straws here... Bleeding the lines and/or replacing rubber lines shouldn't make a difference in pulling to one side because the pressure will instantly balance between both sides as the brakes are applied. It would make a difference in pedal feel and responsiveness, but not pulling to one side. Considering the relatively low cost of another caliper, I'd love to see if replacing the left one fixes it.

9. dj89

dj89 Senior Member
    from wny

Im only fixing what needs to be.... I replaced the line on the DS becouse it was pinched who ever work on it did not put the bolt holding the line in place and it got pinched. The caliper was bad said the dealer, when the oil change was done. So i changed it out. the line is 30 the caliper is 65.........

10. dj89

dj89 Senior Member
    from wny

No it was not swing like a piñata. Lol

11. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

more often than not I've seen rubber brake hoses that collapse internally and cause the symptoms you're describing.

one thing to figure out...is it pulling to one side AS you hit the brakes, or AFTER you let off the brakes?

12. dj89

dj89 Senior Member
    from wny

Its pulling to the DS all the time. It pulls really bad when breaking...

13. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

it pulls to the drivers side all the time, and you havent replaced the drivers side caliper...ok that seems simple enough. put a caliper on it. a collapsed line shouldnt make it pull all the time...that would be more mechanical failure in nature.

14. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

might also check out the wheel bearing just in case. an easy way to tell if it is in fact a caliper locking up is drive it a ways, then park and feel the temperature of the wheels. the one thats much hotter than the rest is your culprit.

15. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

If it pulls left all the time due to a caliper not releasing, the dealer told you the wrong caliper to replace. Spend the $65, it's less than a tank of gas. When is the last time you had an alignment check?

16. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

My thoughts exactly :drinkup:

17. dj89

dj89 Senior Member
    from wny

Its due for on waiting till i get my new tires. It has new wheel bearing both sides in the last 5000 miles. Ill do the other caliper but should it still be pulling hard to the DS?

18. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

drive it down the interstate or something to get the wheel good and warm and feel the center of the wheel. the hot one is your culprit. quick, easy, foolproof

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Tire pressure the same on both sides?

20. dlstelma

dlstelma Member
    from GR, MI

Did you replace/ check the rear brakes? They do more braking than you might think.