1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 2500HD crew Gasser 16K miles

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Frozen001, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I came across this in my search for a new truck. a 2003 2500HD crew cab gas truck with 16K miles. Carfax looks clean, but that does not mean much. Are there any issue with these truck that could arise from spending most it's life parked?

2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Wow, sounds like it could be clean. I would check the brake lines for rust and the manifold bolts for leaks. Other than that should be good.

3. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Not sure it has to do with the low miles.. but I know most people that have had the 6.0L engine in HD's complain of the fuel consumption.

4. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

If its been inside then your good to go, if not then you may want to have a mechanic give it a look over. The brake lines under the drivers door for starters, just general frame rusting, rotors and backing plates especially on the rear, and definitely the manifold bolts the ones on the back near the fire wall.

5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I used to own a 2004 2500hd with the 6.0.. sure it was not the best in gas, but it would pull anything I ever needed it to. My trip down Ford lane with the 5.4 was not my cup of tea. My 2004 had the manifold bolt problem started right befor I traded it in for the Ford. I will keep the break lines and the general under carrage in mind if I decide to go look at it.

6. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

We had some issues recently with an 2002 low mileage truck (25K miles) due to sludge screwing up the cam position sensor. All it needed was a cleaning but it was a PITA to figure out. Not always that great to buy a vehicle that sits a lot!