1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 2500Hd 4X4 problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by oasisland, Feb 8, 2010.

1. oasisland

oasisland Junior Member

I am hoping that someone will be able to help me on this issue as i have reached the end of my rope.

I have a 2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 with the manual shift lever.

The problem i am having is that the transfer case is disengaging the front wheels which shuts off the indicator on the cluster while the 4X4 lever is still in 4Hi position.

I use the truck for snow removal and have a front mounted plow and also a rear mounted plow plow partner. I will back up into a drive , drop the rear plow and pull the snow out into the street. Seems to be when i hit the grade change at the end of the driveways it decides to disengage from 4X4 either after the bump or when i shift back into reverse to go back up the drive. It is also an intermittent issue that does not do it every time but it is doing it enough to cause concern.When it does it i have to shift back to 2Hi then back to 4Hi and it will engage again. I had it into my local dealer and they check the actuator and switch and said that they were ok but also told me that i could change out the switch and the actuator but it would be a shot in the dark as they think it is an internal problem in the transfer case. I had them do the switch and it is still acting up. I planned on doing the actuator but haven't had a chance. The TC doesn't make a sound and works perfect if your driving in Drive 4 Hi all day long but shifting from D to R all night it acts up. I am at a loss i was Quoted a price Just for removal of the TC and i almost passed out , plus the unknown price to fix any "internal issues" because it is sent out. Based on the performance of the TC when using it i am not so sure it is internal but thats why i am asking for some advice.

I also have a 2005 Silverado 3500 Pretty much the exact same truck so i know how the TC sounds etc. Thats why i mentioned that the 2003hd sounds ok to me.

thanks for any help and direction you can provide it is greatly appreciated .. smile.gif