1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 2500 rear end?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by lcncapo, Dec 4, 2008.

1. lcncapo

lcncapo Junior Member
    from roch ny

hey guys, had my truck on a lift the other day to do brakes and new tires all around. when doing the rears, i noticed that this truck has an open rear end. i was very surprised at this as i assumed all 4x4 rams would have a posi. is there a chance that the rear end is/was a posi but that its just burned up? i just bought the truck this summer and it only has 66 k miles but its a 2003 2500 4x4 quad cab. what options do i have for increasing traction as i would like to limit any chance of getting stuck while plowing.

thanks for the help,
    rob

2. payton

payton Senior Member

drive with some sense and ya wont get stuck... simple as that..

3. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

Look in the glovebox for the sticker that says what gear ratio as well as if it is limited slip.

Other than installing a posi or locker, you will need to add 700 - 800# of ballast to assist with traction. In 4x4 you shouldn't have any issues if you use your head.

4. jadyejr

jadyejr Senior Member
    from NC

I have a 2002, and its not a posi but it does fine.... You shouldn't have any problems. Just be smart

5. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

..............Double Post.................

6. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Wasnt standard... When I bought my 06 I couldnt decide between two trucks and when I did I picked one without a ltd slip, fortunatly my brother was there and caught on to it before I signed the paper work.

Not worth putting it in unless you use the truck for something other than plowing and work.

7. jadyejr

jadyejr Senior Member
    from NC

I had the posi on a 2003 dodge 1500, never plowed with it but I went thru 2 rear ends in that truck within 60k miles. The posi was also horrible to make sharp turns with.

8. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I just turned back in a 2004 ram 2500 QC 4x4. it did have the limited slip rear end 3.73. and yes if you look in the glove box the sticker will tell you what you have.

as to getting stuck, well with good snow tires, enough ballast and some common sense you won't get stuck. the only times I ever got stuck was when pushing piles back on soft snow and the front end would sink and snow would build up behind the mold board.