1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002HD Aux. wiring ??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Earthscapes, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Does anyone know where the wiring is hidden for the aux. button? I have looked under the 3rd brake light and the roof lamps. Oh yeah it's an ext. cab if it makes a difference.

Thanks guys

Keith

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Do a search for this question there was a long post on it. Also you could ask GotGrass. He is a landscaper in the Buffalo area and I believe he knows.

3. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

There have been a few posts about the 2001 AUX. switch. I can't imagine the 02 being much diffrent.

The wiring goes behind the left rear panel inside the cab, to a relay.
    From there it goes up into the roof. Either take your chances drilling a hole in your roof & finding it (good luck if you dont). Take it to the dealer so thay can find it & drill the hole.
    Or simply run some new wires from that relay (most preferd option), The panel is held on by clips, there sould be one screw under the lower rear window panel, so off with that one as well. Be carefull not to break the clips when removing the panels.

Sit in the truck real quiet & push the button you will hear the relay clicking back there.

Of cource you would only drill a hole for a roof light. once it's been made ya cant take the light off when ya sell the truck (or patch it real good). For a headache rack I'd simply run new wires from the relay out the back cab vent (also right there) up to the rack.

Hope that helps.

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Why it is not just run to the brake light is beyond me. I guess Chevy decided to only do half the job. Great idea installing the switch and relay but poor choice of wiring.

5. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Exactly. Chevy ran them directly in the roof thinking everyone would know exactly where to drill. What they sould have done is ran them by the brake light, then to that spot. I guess Chevy thought most people would have a "Pro." install them.

Most dealers dont even know. One mechanic at the shop might. Of cource thay have the "big book" to look it up in.

6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

chevy doesn't have a clue on what they are doing.Some of things that i here of about the new trucks is unbelivable they put things in and expect for every one to know what they do or where they are.Not even the pros know about some of the stuff they put in them.

7. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Thanks Got Grass? There is no way i'm drilling a hole in the roof. Not after the hole i just put in the firewall, for my new plow. I'll rip the panels off and run some wires out the third brake lens.

If your looking for driveways let me know. Amherst and Williamsville,,,i'm keeping my Clarence's.

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

What is odd is that they thought people would want to drill into the roof of a $30,000 truck. Maybe fleets and munis would do that but not a personal owner. Most are going to mount a magnet light or something onto a cab protector. Seems it would be the smart thing to loop it up by the brake light or even a grommet or plug near the bedrail/cab intersection.

9. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Earthscapes, Let us know how you get the wires out. Thinking of doing the same thing when I get my Highlighter. I hate having wires coming in the doors or hanging in the back window like my CB antenna.

:nod: I'm always looking for more/better work in Amherst. Williamsville (the village) i'm not so sure I'll be doing this year. PITA they require a permit to plow within a few blocks, cars parked all over the road, confusing drives. Just to many obsiticals. Altho I did make out pretty good with the flagdowns there.
    Clarence I will only be covering off of Grinner from my house to the church. Mostly mom's friends.
    I do get a lot of calls from people in Clarence. Last year I simply told them "Sorry I dont currently service your area". This year I will send them your way.:drinkup: