1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 V10 Triton burning oil

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Billious, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Billious

Billious Member

OK first off the confession... since an oil change back in October, I haven't checked the oil. Not once. I know, I'm a moron. Having saved you the trouble of truck-shaming me, here's the story...

Went over a bump this morning, saw the Check Gauges light flash on for a second, saw the oil pressure gauge had dropped to 0 very briefly - then picked back up to full pressure. I checked the oil, sure enough nothing on the dipstick. 4 quarts of oil later, we're back in business...

No oil leaks that I can detect, and I have never smelled oil burning - but I'm assuming that's where I'm losing it. 2002 F350 with the v10 triton. I'm not the most mechanically inclined, but a lot of the Ford truck forums have been suggesting to check the PCV valve. Any suggestions on locating it and how to check it? Anyone have any luck with additives that reduce oil burn? Thanks in advance!

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Get a flashlight and look under the truck to find out where its coming from.

Valve covers and rear main are the two most common places.

PVC valve doesn't make oil disappear. Not sure if that motor has one either

3. myzx6

myzx6 Member

PCV doesn't make oil disappear but if its stuck or not sealing it will allow excess oil into the intake which inturn gets burn. It is at a small rate so usually you will never smell it or see excess smoke either

4. Billious

Billious Member

Just had the PCV valve checked and its fine so back to square 1...

5. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

All you have to do is get under the truck and look. That simple.

How did you check pcv valve

6. myzx6

myzx6 Member

How many miles have you driven since last oil change, burning 1quart every 1500 miles or so is considered normal oil consumption

7. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Did whomever changed the oil last time put the right amount in?

If no visible leaks outside the engine, pull plugs and find the bad one(s) then do or have leak downs and compression tested on those cylinders, it'll help understand what's going on inside.

8. 03fordboss

03fordboss Member
    from Iowa

My 03 V10 used about 1 quart every 3000 miles when you were plowing or towing. Just summer driving would not use any?? Did that from day one til I got rid of it last year. Never got any better or any worse. My 09 uses about a 1/2 quart every 3000 miles when towing or plowing. Uses none while normal driving. I guess its just the nature of the beast.

9. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Who in the world told you that?

10. myzx6

myzx6 Member

Damn near every auto manufacturer has tsb's regarding oil consumption, some are higher and others are lower

11. Billious

Billious Member

So no noticeable leaks - but it's hard this time of year, particularly when you don't park in a garage. PCV valve is good (rattle test). Mechanic is rock solid, and I have no doubt he put the right amount of oil in - he's very meticulous. We're probably looking at 1500 miles of use since last oil change, so 4 quarts is pretty extreme. Oh well, one more thing to keep an eye out for. The truck has been awesome otherwise!

12. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Did you look under the truck yet. Lol

13. Billious

Billious Member

Why no, I'm an incredible moron and had never thought to look under the truck.

OK, maybe I should back off the sarcasm as I did go months without checking the oil. But yeah, I'm relatively certain it's burning rather than dripping.

14. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I didn't say anything about it dripping

Get under the truck and look up. Its either the rear main seal or the valve covers. 90% certain its the rear main.

15. Billious

Billious Member

I'm going to head in for a wash tomorrow and get things nice and sparkling on the underbody, drive it a little bit, then I'll get back to you on that. I'd think with 4 quarts over that span of time, if it were leaking it would have ended up on the ground under the truck, but I haven't seen any signs of that...

16. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

They tend to pool in the cover for the flywheel you'd be able to see it when looking.

Also the valve covers, but they generally do not leak that much.

I can't imagine it burning 4 QTS internally without noticing a performance difference

17. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

My 2002 5.4l does the same thing.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014