1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 trailblazer electrical problems?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Marty_J, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Marty_J

Marty_J Junior Member

Does anyone know why a guy would have to constantly change the same head light and tail light (opposite sides) on an 02 Trailblazer? Thanks in advance............

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

There was a TSB on the taillights, free replacement at the dealer. For the headlights, inspect the plug carefully. You will likely find the contacts are burnt and need to be replaced.

3. royallawn

royallawn Senior Member
    from kansas

i have an 05 trailblazer with major electrical issues. like sais earlier, the light sockets are probably burnt. i got new sockets at o'reillys for a few bucks. thats not all my issues though. the speedo doesn't work right, it's all kinds of haywire. the oiul pressure doesn't work. fan only gors up to three, four and five don't work. and now the gas gauge is f-ed up. i did get a letter from gm telling me about the gas gauge and willing to split the cost. wtf, $150 out of my pocket for thier problem. i'm a die hard gm man but after this, i don't know.

4. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Late Model GMs are known for instrument cluster issues, send it out and that would probably take care of the speedo and oil pressure, blower fan issue is probably a bad blower motor resister, and if you haven't already, I would change the blower fan at the same time you replace the resister. The gas gage is probably caused by a faulty level sensor (again, gms are known for this problem). If you fill up the truck every 300 to 350 miles, you shouldn't run out of gas i would assume (that's what we do with my wife's impala). How many hundreds of thousands of miles are on this truck? Things don't stay new forever. Don't give up yet!! GM makes a nice CAR, but if you want a work truck, Id stick with a Ford

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The TrailBlazer doesn't seem to be GMs finest hour.....

6. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

There is a guy that rebuilds them for 125.oo with free return shipping he is out of Mt Vemon Ky www.kincervice.com 859-582-8235
    call him and tell him what your cluster is doing. I hoped I helped

I love my Z

7. royallawn

royallawn Senior Member
    from kansas

i know things don't last forever but 80k things shouldn't go bad that quick. when you say pull the guage cluster, do yo meen remove the whole dash? the fuel guage problem is the one that really pisses me off cause they sent a letter out saying it would happen. if there is a problem, recall it and fix it. don't stick me for it. i have a 88 truck with 500,000 miles and the gas guage still works. i've only owned chevys my whole life starting with my 70 chevelle but this trailblazer has alot of issues, all electrical. live and learn i guess.

8. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

Yes it is in the cluster call that guy and ask him

I love my Z

9. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I understand your frustration, but think of the time when that truck was being built. Right around that time the bail outs were happening. I'm sure the manufacture went to using the absolute cheapest parts, rather than a good quality part just to save money and try to keep the company alive. Most of the time an auto manufacture wont recall a vehicle unless there is a safety concern and the government makes them do a recall. The fuel gage could be considered a safety concern in my opinion since you don't know when you could run out of gas and stall, but I doubt they will ever recall them. As far as the cluster goes, I have never pulled one on one of those trucks, but there should be a a panel just around the cluster that comes out (typically a couple of small screws and then some clips holding that in) and then a few screws that hold the cluster in.
    As far as the 88 truck you talk about, I bet it has had its own share of problems and has caused you headaches in the past, but you just played it off as being old and worn out. 500k is great for that truck and I think you cold see the trailblazer reach that number with proper maintenance and repairs.
    And on a side note, You should be happy that you don't have an early trailblazer with the 5 cylinder. They were dropping sleeves (basically self destructing) at a very early age, sometimes less than 40k.
    I was a die hard GM fan (and still drive GMs on a daily basis) but I can tell you that I really like the Ford products these days. I work on a fleet of 28 E-series vans 2 Chevy uplanders and 3 grand caravans and by far, the Fords are the easiest to work on (when they need work)