1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 Ranger with 450LB plow

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Flatulentvandal, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Flatulentvandal

Flatulentvandal Member

Here is my situation. I have a 1991 Ford Explorer 2 door fitted with a 6'6" M/M Fisher plow. Fisher told me yesterday the rig is rated at 450LBs. I want to buy a Ranger for many reasons. I also want to put this plow on the front of it. I am going to buy a 2001-2003 Ranger Extended cab with 4x4, possibly an FX4. Fisher tells me the Minute Mount system is not compatible with these Rangers. However, I have a construction mechanic at my disposal who can make just about anything happen. I have read all the threads on this site involving Rangers and learned that I will need a bigger battery / alternator / and a trans cooler.. Possibly will need to beef up the front end too. I have also heard all the opinoins about not plowing with smaller vehicles. I am not convinced. I plow some driveways and two commercial lots that take about 1 to 1.5 hours each. I am confident I will be able to plow without destroying the Ranger.

Has anyone done something similar?

Will the FX4 be worth it? or will I need to beef up the front end eitherway?

Thanks for your time.

2. mikeeg

mikeeg Member

Ranger 04

I have and 04 xlt with western poly and it is great for smaller work.I plow my 600' of drive and my buildings 35 car lot with no problems. My 04 has a body lift of 3" and 33" tires and it can handle most anything here in NJ.This truck set up like it is very powerful and will pull like a much larger truck. Good Luck and go for it.

3. Flatulentvandal

Flatulentvandal Member

What is the total weight of your plow setup? And have you done anything to strengthen your front end? Did you add a trans cooler? any other mods to facilitate the plow? Was your plow compatible with the Ranger according to Western?

4. mikeeg

mikeeg Member

Ranger 04

Western chart shows it use for Ranger, Weight 250-270 lb. and truck came with Trans. cooler with no other mods. This is the Western poly Suburbanite plow. I love it!!:redbounce