1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 Quad Cab Dakota

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by THL, Nov 5, 2001.

1. THL

THL Junior Member
    from Chicago

Just bought an 02 Quad Cab and was looking for some advice on wich plow to buy and how to set up my truck. Thanks in advance.

2. rick barnes

rick barnes Member

In my past experance, you will not want to OVERLOAD a small truck like yours.
    With the amount of snow fall in your area, I'd think twice about even putting a plow on this truck.
    I used a 1500 Ram for 2 yrs, and distroied the front end on it, the axel rating just is not heavy enough for plowing.
    It was expencive and a big disapointment that the 1500 would not do what I thought it would do.
    You can get plows for the smaller trucks, but if you are doing anything other than small areas, and getting the plow off the truck ASAP, you are going to overload the front end causing problems.
    There are aftermarket overloads that you can use to keep the truck from drooping, but the weight is still there.
    Another thing the think abiout is the transmission. You'll need to install a cooler on it or it will give out in you. Pushing snow will cause any tranny to run HOT.
    When you add 700 / 800 Lbs of plow and another few hundred pounds of snow to the front a truck something is going to give.
    Also check with your dealer, are they going to honor the warranty
    when you have a problem???? And they see a plow mount on the truck.
    I now use nothing but 3/4 ton with factory plow pkg. and 1 tons for plowing. Cost more up front but cost less in the long run.

Ploeing for 6 yrs & ready for snow

rick

Not to be negitive just experanced. But good luck

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

All depends on which dealer in your area provides the best and most convienent service. I think all the major manufacturers make plows for a Dakota. Check to make sure you stay within the requirements.

4. gotgetter

gotgetter Banned

Also, since it's a brand new truck, you may want to make sure your warrenty allows a plow, I don't think it does on the Dakotas.