1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 Power Stroke Diesel Oil

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by vamootsman, Dec 12, 2009.

1. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Just picked up a Great one with 60k on it. It was in Texas and has had Standard Rotella in the whole time. Brought it up to Iowa where it can get a bit colder than in Texas, so wondering if during the Winter I should switch to 5/40 synthetic Rotella. Or would it be OK to just run the 5/40 year round. Did some searching here and on Powerstroke nation, but didn't find any particularly useful info yet. I run the 5/40 in all of my other vehicles, and they all actually run quieter with it. Just don't want to run it in the Powerstroke if it isn't heavy duty enough for plowing.
  2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I run 15/40 Rotella year round.
  3. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Rotella 15/40 and plug her in if it gets below 15 degrees.
  4. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

5. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

A great list of oils that meet the recommended requirements for the Powerstroke engine.

I used to use the Motorcraft 10W30 Powerstroke oil (different than the regular 10W30 Motorcraft oil) in the winter in one of my old trucks. Definitely helped the cold starts.
  6. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

I have the same truck and run synthetic Rotella T vith no problems. I also run Prolong and change oil every 5000 miles.
  7. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Hey DCS, where do you find Prolong these days? Have not seen it in a while around here.
  8. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I run Rotella synthetic, dont plug it in until it gets to zero or below and never have to deal with the romps ever again. I will never go back to a 15/40.
  9. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

Rotella nothing else
  10. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Gonna roll with the Synthetic 5/40 for this winter and probably forever. Thanks for thanks for the input guys. This site is the best.
  11. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

Pepboys in Coon Rapids carries it. Not a big fan of their parts dept. but they carry a lot of different additives and oils.
  12. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Senior Member

I run rotella 15/40 year round
  13. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

Rotella 15w40 all the way
  14. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I've been running Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w-40 in my 07 year round. I never plug the truck in.

I'm not a big fan of Rotella in the PSDs, I used to run it and my trucks were much louder and ran rougher on cold starts. I've switched all 9 of our PSDs over to either Valvoline or Mobil 15w-40 diesel oil and they definitely sound better and are smoother on cold starts.
  15. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Did you use the 15/40 rotella, or the 5/40?
  16. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I used to use the 15w-40 Rotella.....8 of the trucks are all on 15w-40 Valvoline or Mobil.

Only put my 07 with the Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w-40.
  17. maingroup

maingroup Junior Member

7.3 ltr Power Stroke

I have run 15/40 in my 2002 7.3 since new summer 32c and winter -18c it now has 280000 km never a problem I change it every 5000km:D
  18. Deco

Deco Senior Member

19. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

5/40 synthetic in the winter, 15/40 synthetic in the summer