1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 K2500HD maximum tire size

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PROPJCKEY, Jun 12, 2004.

1. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

Hey Boys!

I am currently in the market for some new "meats" on my truck. After 20 years of lettered company trucks, I finally have a plain old truck. The stock 245 tires on these trucks look way too small for my taste. I am not looking to turn this truck into a backwoods swamp buggy, but, would like to put larger tires on. Was pondering a 3" body lift as well, if neccessary. Any thoughts? Really do not want a suspension lift because it will affect the "angle of attack" on my Western.

-Doc-:drinkup:

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

can you go with 265 75 16

3. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

My friend has an 04 GMC 2500HD he has put 33 12.5 15 tires on his truck with no problems, no lifts at all. Right now he is running 32's again with no problems.

4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Prop Jockey
    I work for GM at Pontaic Truck assy and all the guys at work that have 2500 H/D are running 235/65/16 and they look great on the trucks. It really fills up the wheel wells.

Regards Mike

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

If you dont mind moving the bumper forward or triming the bumper/airdam you can get 305's I believe. Otherwise with a moderate torsion bar crank 285's are the limit and that may require a bit of triming of the airdam. I have 265 75 r 16's and they have an obsene amount of clearance with nothing done. I'm thinking of some 255 85 r 16's since they are bigger than the 265's, a hair taller than the 285's but are narrower than the 285's. This is all on a stock rim or stock type width/backspacing. Dont raise your truck more than 1.5"-2" over factory hight in the front via the t bars(either t bar crank or different keys)

I would not body lift your truck. JMO

6. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

Hey Ratlover,

Thanks for the input. I already have the torsion bars cranked 5 turns on the right and 6 turns on the left (fuel tank and driver). This made a HUGE difference when I had to hit the hooks a little hard. It totally stopped the porpoising with the plow on. In the summer, my truck now sits level. Planning on an alignment when I get the new tires to accomidate. It rides a little stiffer, but, it is after all, a truck.

-Doc-:drinkup:

7. ratlover

from IL

I raised my truck 3/4" over factory when i first bought it just to level it a bit. I had my alignment checked at 23k when i put sleeves on my tierods and my camber was off pretty good. I dont know if the slight crank did it or whet. I noticed some funky front tire wear but I thought it was because I was running max inflation in the fronts in the winter(didnt want to have to remember to air up my tires in a blizzard) and the plow chewing tires. I now am not sure if it was this or the camber being out and I'm not sure what threw the camber out or if it was even right from the factory. She awlays drove straight as an arrow before and after the alignemnt. No change in ride after the alignment either.....FYI but next time i raise the bars on a new truck I will get it alighned since I'm not sure if it throws it off anymore.

8. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Cranking up your torsion bars will most likely effect camber. Which in turn will cause tires to wear excessively and abnormally unless the front end alignment is corrected.

Excess camber = tire wear on outside edge
    Lack of Camber = tire wear on inside edge
    over inflation = tire wear on both edges
    under inflation = tire wear right down the middle

FYI assuming the same or close "adjustment" to the bars the amount of change in camber should be roughly equal causingboth tires to wear the similarly and little or no change in handling.

9. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

WFD

You are correct except for the last two. I am sure it was just a brain fart, but, reverse the last two!

-Doc-:confused:

10. ratlover

from IL

Your right, he has em a switched.

I didnt think that 3/4" would effect it enough to be a big deal, I believe the shop said i was 4 degrees outa spec I think though. Dont know if it was all in the crank or if it was a bit off from the factory.

I have uneven wear in the center. The center lugs are worn a bit more than the outers plus every other lug is worn down more. I believe a chunk of that is the overinflation I run in the winter. Well its not overinflated, it just has the max amount of PSI in it witch is more than needed for the weight it normally carys.

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Propjockey,

255/85-16's or 235/85-16's are both tall and relatively narrow (best for snow).

If you want big, go with 285/75-16. Thats about as big as I'd go with a plow truck.

Do you realize whats involved with a body lift these days?

6 turns is a LOT of crank BTW! :(

I cranked mine 3 turns and got 5/8" and it's just about perfect. Levels PERFECT with trailer hooked up, yet still has a nice rake when empty.

Plowman03......15" wheels??? :confused:

flykelly......235/65 ??? :confused:

12. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

If you know how to do a body lift and have someone with half a brain to help you can install a body lift in half a day. If it's for looks the 3" body will clear 35's with a little crank of the torsion bars...I've had mine up as far as 13 turns with the plow on a couple more wont hurt you. You might tickle the air dam depending on how wide you go and how you drive the truck but a cut with a 30 degree angle foreward looks decent. If you're going to work the truck keep it stock!
    Casey

13. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

Yes they were 33 12.5's 15's on a 16" rim same goes with the 32's he is running right now.

14. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

33 x 12.50 - 15's are a 15" wheel size.

They WILL NOT fit on a 16" wheel.

I really don't think that 15" rims (if you can still find them with 8 lug pattern) will clear the brake rotors on the HD's.

15. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

I was wrong about the 33's, sorry for all the confusion.

The 33's were 33x12.5x16's The kind of tire he was running in the 33's was the Interco Thornbird= JUNK, now he's running 32x11.5 BFGoodrich MT's

16. ratlover

from IL

Yes thornbirds beyond suck! Interco makes some good stuff though, just not the poser offroad....er...I mean thornbirds

The frame sticks down enough on a HD, I cant imagin it with a body lift. Older trucks are OK but I wouldnt body lift a new truck especially if I were to plow with it. Bigger tires period will mess with your "angle of attack"