1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 hd runs bad

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by roteye38, Aug 5, 2008.

1. roteye38

roteye38 Member

working on a friends 2002 2500 6.0 hd the truck barely will idle when tried to move it .it misses bad it blow a mass air flow code to start with thought it was the cat plugged changed the left side still the same maybe the module? any help

2. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

make sure the mass airflow sensor (maf) isnt broke or disconnected, also pick up some maf cleaner and clean the wires off. check air filter for blockage... how recent did he change fuel filter?

3. roteye38

roteye38 Member

cleaned mass air flow put new fuel filter on fuel pressure was 55 at idle 53 with just key on

4. LawnProLandscapes

try unplugging maf and see how the truck runs then, maybe clean throttle body and clean throttle position sensor... check for vaccuum leaks... wouldnt hurt to add some fuel system/fuel injector cleaner..

maybe B&B will stumble on this thread he'll probaly have it solved in no time .

5. roteye38

roteye38 Member

cleaned throttle body ran seafoam dirrectly through the throttle body nothing changed

6. LawnProLandscapes

you check and make sure all 8 are firing .

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What lead up to this problem? Did it run perfectly up until all of a sudden- or did it get worse over time?

If you've got good fuel pressure, a MAF code, and it doesn't run right you probably have a MAF issue.

What is the code specifically? Any other codes? The MAF on these trucks don't normally give any trouble but anything with more than one moving part or anything electrical can give your problems at any time for any reason.

If you have access to a good scanner you can read the MAF counts and see what the MAF is or isn't doing...DON"T JUST REPLACE IT as it may not fix it. payup

1) Check the electrical connection on the MAF itself. Make sure non are pushed into the connector housing. As well as insuring that they're clean and making good connection.
    2) Check the wiring harness were it travels over across the engine for any damage (rub through, furry critter evidence :eek: etc)

8. roteye38

roteye38 Member

he is giving up going to take it to the dealership will let you know what the problem was thanks for all the help

9. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

Keep us updated. I had a similar problem with my 8.1 and the rubber boot that seals the intake to the throttle body was not sealing. When I got it to seal ran perfect, pull it off and the truck craps out and sends the MAF sensor code. Hope it is simple as that.

10. roteye38

roteye38 Member

buddy got truck back from dealer they said it had two bad injectors

11. roteye38

roteye38 Member

he was wrong there is more wrong with it yet will let you all know when i get the right info

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yea I thought so...

Might have had two weak injectors but I'm not surprised changing them didn't fix it. Needs future diagnosis... it's setting MAF codes for a reason unrelated to an injector problem.

13. roteye38

roteye38 Member

buddy brought truck over didnt want to pay big money for fix at the dealer did compression test seven dead took valve cover off intake rocker spring broke get part tomorrow keep fingers crossed thats it

14. roteye38

roteye38 Member

fixed spring truck running good again thanks for all the help

15. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Having a dead cylinder will sure do that to you. Glad it is worked out.