1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 GMC 2500HD with the 8.1L

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by Kollerman, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

Guys,

I got a lead on a 2002 GMC 2500HD with the 8.1L. This thing is loaded to the T with almost every option. The truck has 82,000 miles on it and a 2 yr old 8.2 Boss V. The guys is asking $18,000 for truck and plow. $13,500 for just the truck.

Is this a fair price? From all the picture he sent, this thing looks like it is in great condition and definitely kept up well.

Got a few more questions though:

What kind of mileage do you get with the 8.1L? (I do quite a bit of pulling during the summer when we go camping (27ft. travel trailer). This is why the question is asked, otherwise I could care less cause of how little I use the truck.)
    Did the Alison tranny come with this engine in 2002?
    What are your overall opinions on the 8.1L engine (reliability, power, etc)?

I have a few friends that say it is horrible gas mileage, but the truck pulls anything and they love the power they have when you really need it.

I have a work car that I use, so my truck really only gets used at nights/weekends when I cut lawn and pull my small utitlity trailer around. Plus, it would be used to pull my camper and to plow during the winter.

Just looking to see if this would be a good buy or not.

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

2. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

Please delete this thread. I mistakenly posted in here instead of the Chevy/GMC section.

Thanks.

Jeremy

3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I picked up a 2001 with 86K with a staright blade and dump insert for 10K..,. 18K is WAY too much... I get 8 mpg just driving around town and about 5-6 plowing
    Yes the allison is mated to the 8.1

4. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

Good truck, too high priced unless its just immaculate. I didn't like the oil using of the 8.1's, as most seem to use a decent amount. I also got 7-8 and couldn't get over 10 with the wind at my back at 55. It would make a decent truck for someone to use it less than 10k a year or always having a trailer on it. For your application, it would be perfect to use for work and then tow 27 footer. Good luck, post some pictures of the body and interior to give people a better feel on what exactly this truck is about.

5. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

I posted some pictures of it in the Chevy section. I am supposed to get inside pics of it tomorrow.