1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 GMC 2500HD Purchase

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Flipper, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Trying to help a friend who needs to get out of his payment. He is going to unload this truck and just drive his dumptruck.

This was his daily driver.

It has a 4x4, 8.1liter, manual transmission, extended cab with the access doors, 85,000 miles, newer tires, great condition power everything, CD, A/C, tow package, bed cover, nice wheels, etc.

It has a Fisher mount and wiring, but only plowed a couple times. He only had one plow so when his dumptruck had a problem he could hook up easy.

I don't know Chevies/GMCs as well/ He owes $7000 I am going to pay that and give him $1500 more so he can find a spare beater truck. Blue Book on it is somewhere in the $12000 range. This is a clean truck.

Anything I need to look out for? I figure I can use it as a driver when I am taking my kids with me as the Tacoma is getting tight as they get bigger. I can also use it for towing instead of always running the dump out.

Give me some advice.

2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

$8500.00 seems resonable for that truck if it's in good shape!

3. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

What to look for? How about a gas station. They suck on fuel, but it is a good truck, with really not too many miles. Price isn't too bad.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sound like an excellent buy. The only thing hurting the book value is the manual trans, otherwise it would be higher than 12-15K (if your basing it on retail price).

The '02's were an excellent year with few common problems. Rear brake corrosion like all the later GM's would be the most common thing to check. Especially if it sets idle often. The 8.1 will use some oil, but it's normal. There was a TSB for intake gaskets and bolts to help curb the oil appitite for the 01-02's if it hasn't already been done.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  5. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

How bad is the mileage? My powerstroke averages 12-15, but with Diesel being over a dollar more per gallon a gasser with the same or even slightly less mileage would still come out ahead in dollars per mile.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

9-11 MPG loaded, empty, up hill, down hill....or down a mine shaft, it's all the same.

7. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Thats an awesome price I paid $7700 for a 99 this last june and it had 135k.