1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 GMC 1500hd all sorts of issues?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by buckwheat_la, Jul 10, 2010.

1. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

so one of my 1500hd's was pulling a trailer (6000lbs) up a hill yesterday, when it completely powered out, engine light came on, loud ticking sound, and just lost all its jam. slipped the transfer case into low, and slowly creeped the rest of the way up. Going to go get it scanned today, find out the engine codes stored in the computer. Anyone care to speculate on the problem? i bought this truck at a auction, and it has never had the same power as my 2003 3/4ton, and it has always had a bit of a tick. I am thinking i may be doing a engine sometime soon :(

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

It'll be interesting to know what codes it threw after this happened. Our '01 Suburban has had similar issues with highway driving... dealer attributed it to bad gas, not sure I buy that...

3. buckwheat_la

i was hoping B&B would chime in

4. buckwheat_la

so i got my truck scanned, MAF sensor, and 2-4-6-8 cylinders misfiring, it has been suggested that it may be a plugged cat-converter

5. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

sounds like a clogged cat, i had a jeep wrangler that did that same thing one time climbinng a hill, it lost all power and would barely climb the hill, then all of a sudden it backfired and blew chunks out of the exhaust and boom it gained the power back and kept climbing.

6. buckwheat_la

i am thinking of eliminating the CAT from my exhaust, but i think it may result in my truck not running properly

7. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i cut the cats out of both dodges and it didnt make a single diffrence in the way it ran.