1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 GMC 1500 4WD axle actuator mounting surface corroded

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by theholycow, Nov 26, 2014.

1. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

2002 GMC Sierra K1500 with Autotrac 4WD

4WD is not engaging. Transfer case is working fine; when I choose 4LO I get low range, but only the rear wheels.

The actuator on the front differential isn't on straight, because a bunch of corrosion built up and pushed it sideways a little. I think that's my problem. I suppose it could be a broken or corroded wire going to the actuator, but it's in wire loom all the way to the main harness and this looks like a problem.

I chipped out as much of the corrosion as I could with a screwdriver and hammer and soaked it in PB Blaster, but I couldn't get it to straighten out. The whole thing has a plastic housing so I don't think I can just put a big channel lock on it, squeeze hard, and turn it to release it so I can clean up the rest of the corrosion.

Any suggestions?

(Sorry for the photo quality, it's raining and dark...