1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 Fisher Minute Mount Inst-Act Wont Angle

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by CallBob, Nov 17, 2011.

1. CallBob

CallBob Member

My plow went up it was jerking and did it in steps , but , it got there . Now , it only jerks when i try to angle it right or left or up . I filled the fluid reservoir . It is a new motor and relay . I am getting a magnetic pull on the white wire solenoid .
    Hoses are in the proper location . Isolation Module has all four plugs inserted properly and ground is alright .
    Motor is working fine and it's a new controller in the cab . All i am getting is the jerking motion no matter what direction i attempt to move the blade .
    Do you think i need to pull all the coils and solenoid valves at the motor ? 3 of them are there . It has a quart and 1/2 of new transmission red fluid ....The motor relay is also new .
    It went up jerking and now i don't want to drop it in case it wont go up again . I don't seem to get readings when i try to measure voltage at the solenoid , maybe I'm doing it wrong ...black at ground and live to the colored wire on the solenoid ..
    Thanks
    Bob :mechanic:

2. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

What was in it for fluid before you filled it? Fisher fluid or ATF? When was the last time the filter was changed?

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

try a different controller.

4. CallBob

CallBob Member

B 4 the fluid was Trans. ATF ... red stuff . and the controllers cost $ 335.00 each so i think the brand new one i have is the one i will stick with and not try another . Filter is a breather that is clean .

5. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

The filter is inside the reservoir.

6. LON

LON Senior Member

Looking at the filter would be what I'd do. If it is clean then I'd suspect the pump

7. CallBob

CallBob Member

Okay ..right now i have the coils and valves inside soaking in acetone for a few minutes ...later when the snow stops , i will empty the reservoir and check on the filter ..
    Thanks

8. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Aren't you supposed to get a megnetic pull on all 3 solenoids, depending on what direction you're trying to use? One per ram, right?

Does it make any noise when you try to angle it or is it just dead?

Drop it and if it doesn't raise you can just use a jack and shorten the transport chain to hold it.

Mine did this and I had a cracked wire inside my truckside directional controller plug. Found it by angling the plow while I jiggled the wires, then went to the wiring and troubleshooting diagrams.

9. CallBob

CallBob Member

Yes on the magnetic pull , but i was only getting it on the white wired one ..not the blue or green . I just cleaned up the coils and valves and re-installed them all and the stupid thing is still just doing the try to right angle on any selected direction of the controller . It's making all kinds of noise with the plow motor running and the blade trying to move and just stopping with a bang , it's jerking but not going anyplace .
    I have to wait for partner to get home to re-check for magnetic pull now . I'll top of the fluid and see what happens with the coils around 8 pm tonight when help gets home .:mechanic:

10. no lead

Please try a different controller.

11. no lead

trust me...........

12. CallBob

CallBob Member

About the controller . I still have the original controller and i have the new one i paid $333.00 for . The 1st one continues to run when i release it and the brand new one works perfectly . I don't have another $333.00 to go out and buy another one just to " try " it .

13. no lead

if the brand new one works perfectly why are you looking for advice?

14. CallBob

CallBob Member

Because something else is causing a problem and it as of yet to be determined just what that item is . It appears that it may be the filter .

15. no lead

not trying to be a jerk here bob. any fisher or western dealer will let you try a different control to remove any doubt weather it is good or not.

its not the pump, not the filter, or the valves. i have seen this a hundred times. its your money. i have had bad controllers right out of the box. maybe your brand new one is defective and may carry a warranty. just a thought.

16. nick4634

nick4634 Member

I just fixed this same problem I was having today. The plow would sound like it was try to angle but wouldn't while it was on the ground, when angled all the way to the left and coming back to the right it would stop and bang and if I hit the button again it would go the other way, and when trying to raise the plow I had to hit the button a couple times. Guess what the problem was... faulty controller. put a different controller on and all the problems went away.

17. CallBob

CallBob Member

It came off eBay in a new box and paperwork with a metal mount . The truck is off road and so i would need to take the controller to a dealer ( 55 miles away ) to get it tested .

18. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I guess I don't understand. If the plow works perfectly with one controller, but not with the other, how can the issue be related to the pump, motor, valves, etc.?

19. CallBob

CallBob Member

Because the controller makes the plow react as if it is going to do what i want it to ...but..never gets the action completed .

20. no lead

i should have asked this up front, handheld i asume, not a joystick?