1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 F250 mpg help

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by milkie62, Aug 25, 2008.

1. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

My vehicle: 2002 F250 super cab,8'box,5.4 v8,3.73 axles. 285-16 tires.JBA shorty headers.Cannot seem to get over 9.5 mpg.With my 12'dump trailer empty---8 mpg.What is everyone getting with this similar setup? I had a 1994 F250 5.8 liter and 4.10 axles and was getting 12 mpg

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The 5.4 gets worse gas mileage then the 6.8 does. The super duty is alot of weight to move. My V-10 has been getting 10mpg and that is all in town driving.

3. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

do the basics and see if it helps, clean/ change air filter, change fuel filter, run some fuel injector cleaner through it.. might help you pick up a little but not a hole lot.

4. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

My 04 with the 5.4l is getting 9.7-10mpg around town empty. I have done all the basics but change the plugs with the same results. I leave it home when I can.

5. pkenn

pkenn Senior Member

remove the "maf" sensor (first sensor behind air filter) and drench it with "maf" cleaner (auto parts store) and let dry (repeat twice) put back in and afte your computer gets used to the new mixtue change (100-200 mi) you will notice a difference. i do mine every oil change.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Take the neg battery terminal off while you clean it and that will re-set the computer.
    No need to drive 100-200 miles.

7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

this sounds about right

8. BM'S PLOWING

BM'S PLOWING Member
    from MASS.

Mpg's

I HAVE A 05 WITH THE 8 FT BOX AND THE 5.4 WITH 3.73'S. I GET 10.2 IN THE CITY WITH MINE BUT I BELIEVE THAT THE MOTORS ARE ACTUALLY DIFFERENT. YOU SHOULD HAVE THE 16 VALVE 5.4 AND THEN IN 04 THEY WENT TO A 24 VALVE. MY OLD TRUCK HAD THE 16 VALVE IN THE MILAGE WAS ABOUT THE SAME AS YOURS. I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING FROM PLUGS AND WIRES TO DIFFERENT FLUIDS AND DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY AND NEW FILTERS. THE ONLY THING THAT HELPS ON MY 05 IS TO DO OIL CHANGES MORE FREQUENTLY AND TO CHANGE THE AIR FILTER MORE OFTEN. I AM IN THE PROCESS OF BUYING A PROGRAMER WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO HELP A LOT. GOOD LUCK AND SEND ME A PM IF YOU FIGURE SOMETHING OUT.

BM'S PLOWING
    2005 FORD F-250 W/ 8 1/2 FISHER HD
    2 YARD HENDERSON SANDER
    2 HONDA HS-80 TRAC SNOWBLOWERS
    AND THE MOST IMPORTANT A LOT OF COFFEEussmileyflag

9. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

wouldnt hurt to get some throttle body cleaner and clean that up, they can get pretty gunked up, also i dont know what kind of fuel you guys run but if your running cheap gas with ethanol added youll get lower too. check for vaccuum leaks on your pcv valves and hoses, that will do a number on your mileage too.

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Drive downhill and put it in neutral that should help also .:D

11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I don't care who you are, that's funny.
    My 1989 5.8 - 3 speed auto F-250 gets the same MPG that a mordern overdrive truck gets. They just traded numbers for the same results !

12. KubotaJr

KubotaJr Senior Member

Still havent had a chance to remove the maf sensor, but i just bought a can of crc maf sensor cleaner. It was $5 at the local auto store and i hear it works great!

13. krazeehorse

krazeehorse Member

Keep us posted on the results.