1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 F250 easy to do oil & transmission pans ?????

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ernest, Oct 13, 2014.

1. ernest

ernest Member

Hey mechanics out there.Brought my truck in for service,they suggested replacing my oil and transmission pans about $1000.00 for both.Both leaking a little. Is this a job thats easily done.I'm not very mechanically handy.Use to change my own oil & plugs,but thats about it.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What engine?
    Trans pan is pretty easy, your just gunna get fluid everywhere if you don't drain most of it out before you drop the pan.

3. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Thats a problem of 7.3s if thats what it is . The motor needs to be lifted remove pan . Dont think thats a crazy price for it but dont really know.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

A grand for both, that's not bad

5. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Yeah quality pans are $200 or so. You can cheaper ones for $100

So a grand isn't bad I don't think either

6. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Oil pan - yes, but you can do the transmission pan yourself! Yes???

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Holy cow, who would do it for a grand?

That's very cheap.

And no, the oil pan is not easy.

8. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

9. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

FYI, If you choose to do the transmission pan yourself here's a tip. Since you intend to replace the pan take your drill and drill a hole in the lowest part of the pan. This way the oil drains out nicely vs. trying to lower the pan full of oil.

I recently serviced the transmission in my truck and no matter how careful I was it was still a messy job. Thank god I put large piece of cardboard under the truck to catch the mess that missed the drain pan. Next time I do the service I'll buy a new pan beforehand and use the drill method. The price of the pan is worth it in my opinion.

10. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Just looked into Fumoto and EZ Oil Drain plugs - getting a few to put in...

11. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

My stock 02 f350 tranny pan has a drain. And like others said the oil pain is a pain to replace.

12. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

It didn't come with that (assuming) - did you put it in? Or buy used and it was in there.

13. kimber750

Bought used but got it in 2005. Maybe it was swapped but pretty sure it says ford right on it. Now I am gonna have to go look again.

14. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

I'm almost sure they did not come with it - bet the last owner tapped it and put it in...lucky you!

15. kimber750

Now I just went out and looked, in the rain. :laughing:

This what my pan looks like. Pretty sure this is factory.

EDIT: After looking online it appears it was hit or miss if they had a drain in the pan for the 4r100.

N36765EU1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  16. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Ah. Yes - it does! Thgt u were saying it had the Fumoto drain in it!!!! LOL sorry it was raining too!!!

17. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

I put the pan saver on my 2000 about 8 years ago and its still going strong with out any leaks!

18. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

A grand for an oil pan swap is cheap, which makes me wonder how half assed the job will be.

The proper way (mind you it's been awhile) is to pull the engine. Replace pan and leave it for 24 hours upside down on a stand to allow it to properly seal.

Wondering if they plan on just raising the engine, swapping pans and slapping it back together.

Also make sure it isn't just leaking from the dipstick tube. This is extremely common as the gasket goes bad and oil gets past it while it runs.

19. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

No body does that any more. Not cost effective

20. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

That was the method from a Ford diesel tech with 20 years of experience I knew years back. Came up when I noticed mine leaking, but was only the dipstick gasket.