1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 F250 5.4 won't idle

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by SnowLane, Oct 7, 2013.

1. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

My 2002 F250 5.4 Superduty won't idle and no throttle response. I see the park or turn signal on front driver side is on dim when it is running but the park and turn are off. there is no throttle response either. If I turn on the hazards or turn signal I have a good idle and throttle response. However when the turnsignal is on it acts like there is a bulb ou (fast blinking) Any ideas?

2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Shot in the dark here, but check your grounds, especially the ground on the engine block.

3. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

I agree also but I'd start at the battery to frame and engine block, make sure they're tight and clean and a cable hasn't deteriorated enough to completely loose it's whole connection.

Matt

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Check and clean shiny clean with sand paper/steel wool. Any black wire connected to the body, engine or frame big or little. Protect with Dielectric grease. Seperate some close to the problem connectors in the wire harness. Look for corrosion and gunk in the plugs. Shoot dielectric grease into connections to protect. If it will still not idle you may need an Idle Air Control Valve. All the ground connections to stuff are in the wire harness. Most ground connections are under the hood. Bad grounds will feed back to good grounds which can get overloaded. Causes funky problems.

5. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

It was a ground to frame connection on main harness going back to the tail lights. I had to drop the spare tire to see the broken connection (rotted off at the frame). Apparently the groung is for the fuel pump as well. The fuel pump would run since it was finding a ground thru the park light bulbs. Thanks for everyones help.

6. MickiRig1

Yep. Fuel pumps need good connections. The voltage and amp flow are not right. You don't get the right pressure. Your tip in and idle are then effected.

7. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

nice find now how about some fluid film

8. MickiRig1

Dielectric grease to protect the inside connections. Fluid Film the seal out moisture from the outside.