1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 f-350 steering issue

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by meyer22288, Mar 20, 2016.

1. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

truck is a 2002 f-350 7.3l 4x4 srw. not a plow truck. replaced power steering pump last night. now steering is fine when driving or parked without brakes applied. if you are parked and applie the brakes then try steering it is very hard to steer. once brakes are released steering is normal again. any ideas.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Either air, or pump is bad.

3. boutch

boutch Junior Member

Hi Meyer22288. No hydro boost power assit on the breaks right. Do you have stock wheels on or wheels with offset spacings. Most vehicule the ball joint axis fall center to the tire on the ground. But if you have offset wheel When you turn your wheels left to right the tires rotates a little, so with break on it makes it harder to steer since tires are restricted from free rolling. But steering pump should be able to overcome that. Must have a bad pump or pressure is set to low in it.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  4. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

everything on truck is stock, 181,000 miles. its my understanding this truck does have hyrdoboost assit. before the old power steering pump kicked the bucket everything was fine. we flushed and bleed system after installing new pump. im thinking this new pump is garbage. really not looking forward to changing pump again if that's the case. can the issue be in the hydroboost?

5. dieselss

Highly doubt it could be the hydro boost, usually they work or don't.
    I'd you really want to be sure, put a gauge on it. I'd put my money on the new pump being bad.

6. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

thanks for the help guys. gonna try another new pump and see what happens.

7. boutch

boutch Junior Member

I would try bleeding the air out at the hydro boost fisrt.

8. dieselss

And just how would one go about that? I'm curious.

9. boutch

boutch Junior Member

Can he just loosen the line at the hydro boost comming from the steering pump a 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Start the truck. That if he as hydro booster in the first place. If he as a vaccum booster diferent story.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  10. dieselss

It's a 2002 diesel.....It's hydro boost.
    Wouldn't just running the truck and applying the brakes easier?

11. boutch

boutch Junior Member

You think he would have by now press the break enough to bleed the air trough it. Just a though before changing the pump again.

12. dieselss

And Ford's ps pumps aren't that great to begin with.
    I'd say after about a day of driving it and triple checking the fluid the air should be out.

13. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Where did you get the pump? Was it new or a reman? Does it make any noise? When you step on the brake pedal. Does it kick back any? Did you flush out the system during the installation?

14. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

pump is a reman from Levine auto. makes no noise. no kick back from brake pedal. system was flushed after the install.

15. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Ive had on an E series with hydro boost with stuck return valve in the gear box? after I replaced a pump. It took several high speed, slaming on the brakes to "jolt" it back to working. It was fine while rolling, but as soon as you stopped or were about stopped, all power assist stopped to the steering stopped. A few good brake checks may be all you need. Id go that route before changing out another pump...

16. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Have someone watch the pump while you try to turn with brakes on. Does the pulley stop? Could have a weak belt tensioner.

17. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

driver says problem seems to have fixed itself. hopfully it was air or something that worked its way out. thanks for the guys ill keep you all posted.:waving::drinkup: