1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 F-350 Sd 4x4 Front axle problem??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by peterk800xc, Oct 1, 2013.

1. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

My 2002 F-350 SD 4x4 has a weird problem in the front axle that 2 Shops cannot seem to figure out whats going on with it.The 4 wheel drive selector dash switch is in 2 wheel drive ( vaccum operated system) the drive shaft, on passenger side axle and u joint will turn but NOT the drivers side axle and ujoint.On my old truck when it was in 2 wheel drive, the front driveshaft would turn feely and neith front axles and joints would turn.Anyone can help with this. i would appreciate it. Thanks.

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

bad lock out Buy new lock out

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

x2 bad lock out. might just get rid of the "auto" and go with manual ones

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Have you tried turning the lockout manually?

The vacuum hubs\lockouts are worthless. After the first season or two.

5. peterk800xc

Thanks for the help and one more question?

I am seriously thinking of going with a set of manual hubs for my truck.What hubs would you Guys suggest me getting?Question is how do they install and what is involved to do away with the vaccum lines and other stuff in the hubs? Do you still use the dash switch 2 high and Low and just lock/unlock manually? :mechanic:

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Try the WARN site it might have install instructions. Try the search function at top of page. I do believe I did see someone post the information in the past. It's not that hard. I don't think you even have to take the tires off. Make sure you use antiseeze on the screws and hub edge / mating surface.

7. dieselss

You still have the switch and you would have to put it in auto. The vacuum lines will just be plugged off.
    On a side bar I was just looking at hubs. I was looking at the warn all metal ones. For about 270. That's just me

8. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

At least you have an old enough ford that you can install manual lock-out hubs.

On my 05', I had to just bite the bullet and replace the hubs and actuators. No manual lock-outs for it.

9. Mark Oomkes

Both of my '05s have a manual lock hub from the factory. My auto hubs haven't worked for years. Lock em in the fall and unlock em in the spring.

10. White Gardens

Looked into it for my F-150, no one offered them as a replacement.... Guessing you have a 250 or 350.

11. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You didn't read the title of this thread F350 SD :gunsfiring: F150

12. Mark Oomkes

I thought we were talking trucks. :p

350 and a 550.

13. White Gardens

Yes, I did.

I just made a comment on the older generation of fords being easier to convert compared to the newer style.

The F-150 is plenty of "real" truck for me.[​IMG]

The F-150 is great for small residentials with the tight turning radius and good mpg's during the summer season.

I've got the C3500HD to do real work..... [​IMG]

14. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I thought the F 150 did not have Lockouts since the 90's

15. peterk800xc

THANKS for the help.Where did you find them for that price? Did you install them yet?

16. dieselss

That seems tobe average price across the board. EBay Amazon 4wheelin parts. Etc.
    No I have not done anything yet. Working on tks and plows all day at work,,, don't really feel like starting mine yet, although I know I should while the weather's nice

17. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Summitracing.com should have them for most trucks.

18. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Warn manual hubs are common swap for SD trucks. I have a spare set of factory ones I may unload if you are in need.

19. peterk800xc

Thanks

Got my truck back today and the problem was with the vaccum seals on both wheels. Fixed and they work good again.Not that expensive but I will be putting Warns on it next seal failure.:salute:

20. White Gardens

Funny part is that two shops couldn't figure it out....... Especially when it's a common problem....