1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 F-350; no brakes

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Plowking, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Plowking

Plowking Junior Member

:realmad:

I have a 2002 F-350 that seems to only stop on the front brakes. The Ford dealer says that the system is ok. I have already tore-up one set of front tires in 5,000 miles. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I had the same problem on an old Chevy. It was the proportioning valve.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

The lack of rear brakes should not wear out a set of tires in that little mileage.It would wear out front brakes very quickly.

If you think the rear brakes are lacking,then check and make sure they are adjusted correctly,and if you have a height sensing proportioning valve in the rear,that it is set up right too.If you have a PSD,and a plow,it will make the truck real nose heavy,which can raise the rear,taking brake pressure away from the rear brakes.Make sure you have good front springs,or Timbrens,and use the proper amount of ballast in the rear.If it is still lacking,you may want to look at bypassing the valve with a hose or manually adjustable valve,to up the rear brake pressure.

Get the front end,and alignment checked to find out why you burnt up those front tires so quick.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2003
  4. Plowking

Plowking Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. I tow a Bobcat with this truck and my other trucks. This is the only one with the problem. I even swapped brake controlers. I had the alignment checked when the new tires were mounted. It was right on the money.

Ford said there is no adjustment on the system.
    I drove a 2003 F-350 today. It stopped on a dime.

Thanks again

5. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto Member

Plowking, mine stops like somebody threw the anchor over. Did you have a tech drive it to see the problem? I'm assuming you're still under warranty, maybe try another dealer. I know dealers are a pain, but you shouldn't have to fix the problem yourself. Personally, I'm 1,500 miles from being out of warranty, I won't see the dealer again unless I blow the motor before 100K.

6. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

Plowking, my f-250 stops real good. Your truck has four wheel disck brakes and should have remarkable stopping power. I would have a tech drive it and then tell him now get in a new one and tell me my truck stops like that. Dont take there "ITS NORMAL ANSWER" I might even question going to that dealer if thats how there service is. Let us know how you make out.

7. Plowking

Plowking Junior Member

I just got my truck back from the dealer in Pittsburgh. They put a new master cylinder on it and it didn't help a lick. The guys at the dealership seam to think that the diesels have better stoping power due to the boost on the system. My other trucks are PowerStrokes and this is the first gasser I have bought since 1993

8. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

Plowking, I'd take it to another dealer. My gasser stops on a dime and I've driven both diesel and gas-No difference. Let us know how you make out.

9. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

My 2000 stops quickly. I love it. I would keep hounding the dealer, or go find another one. There is no reason for them to stall you.

Good luck.