1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 F-150 FX4 Super Crew 5.4L V8

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ramair2k, Dec 13, 2004.

1. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

just curious to know if this truck can handle a plow. Plow would be used mainly for driveways, and possibly light commercial. Also, what would be the "ideal" setup for this truck?

2. crashz

crashz Senior Member

In a word - No.

That model has the heaviest motor and crew cab on a 1/2 ton chassis. Ford won't recommend any plow and most plow manufactures won't either. Six months ago I would have said you can run a really light plow on it, but not now.

The reason I say that is because I just put ball joints and sealed front wheel bearing assemblies in my 2001 regular cab 4x4. The bearings are tiny. And expensive. They don't look as if they'd live very long on a truck carrying a plow. I think if you put a plow on it, you will be looking at expensive front-end work on a consistent basis.

Edit - You'll notice a few people here do plow with F150's. But I think all of them have the heavy GVW package with the 7 lug wheels and plow package. This was not offered on the Supercrew (my truck is the five lug wheel too).

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I am not familair with that model but if it has a Dana 50 straigh axle under it, you could use a plow on it as long as you did not get carried away with it weight. GM's 1500 HD crewcab it nothing more than a play on words as it is a 3/4ton pickup in design and GVW for emissions reasons under a 1/2 ton label for those that would not own a 3/4 ton truck.

4. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

not sure if it has the Dana 50 straight axel. I will have to get the specs on it. Here is a picture of a 2002 FX4. The only difference on mine is the color, mine is dark blue.

truck.jpg

5. Tarkus

What is the GVW rating of vehical on label on door inside of door jam.

6. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

I will find out later....Truck is home and I am at work. (company vechicle)

7. crashz

crashz Senior Member

None of the F150s have a straight axle or even TTB from 1997 on. Starting in 97, the F150 and F250 light duty (which was discontinued in 2000 in favor of the F150 7700 lb package) have IFS suspension similar to the Chevies. Its a pretty stout setup, The A arms, half shafts and diff housing look pretty tough. But the wheel bearings are pretty narrow. And they are a sealed unit bearing. Easy to replace, but expensive (mine were $250 each). Ball joints are just a pain to do (as they are on any vehicle) and they are not serviceable unless you replace them with greasable units.

I've never seen the bearings on the F250 LD and F150 7700, but I bet with the larger hub, 7 wheel studs, and higher front axle weight rating, I bet the bearings are much bigger.

ramair2k - the front GAWR on your truck is probably 3500 lbs. There is some variation to the weight ratings, but with the FX4 package you get the stronger torsion bars. Mine is not an FX4, and has the 3200 lb front end. All the same bearing though. :(

8. Tarkus

I have never seen a 7 lug wheel so if they exist that is a new on on me (I have seen 4, 5, 6, 8 and 10 but never 7)

My guess to is with a F150 crew cab in a 4x4 that the front axle is at least 3800 to 4000 lbs GAWR

9. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Here is my .02 cents for what its worth.

I own a 2001 Supercrew F150 4x4 w/ 5.4v8 and I decided against putting a plow on it because in my opinion it is just to light duty to plow with. Then I saw in the owners manual in big bold letters not to use the F-150 Supercrew for Snowplowing so that sealed the deal for me right there anyhow.

10. Tarkus

I do not question if it is a bit light, I am just trying to find out how light it is as I know how GM does their CC 1500 but not Fords.

11. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

GAWR is 3660 for the front axle

12. Tarkus

Kinda sounds like tire limitations with the odd amount (like 1840 per tire? maybe not) Thanks.

13. tuna

tuna Senior Member

I have an `03 Supercrew with a 5.4, no plow for my truck to light.My plow truck is an 89 F250(which still sucks cuz its a LD 6700 lb.GVW and a TTB) .

14. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

If you're not farmilliar with that truck than why are you giving someone advice on that truck? You don't even know what axle is under that truck. No 150's have a solid axle. They haven't for a long long time. And don't give crashz a hard time about the 7 lug comment. It was probably a typo. God forbid YOU have a typo once in a while.

15. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

F250's have 7 lugs...97 only! just supporting you crashz

16. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

GAWR is 3600lbs and its 5 lug

17. Tarkus

That has got to be one Ba$!@rd wheel!! One of Fords "better Ideas" ?

18. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

I "owned" one...that's why i have a chev. now

19. tuna

tuna Senior Member

It was not 97 only It was on the 97-99 F250 LD, in 2000 they changed the name of the 250 LD to the F150 7700, it was a name change only the truck did not change and the 7700 lived on untill the 04` model year when the new F150 was introduced.

20. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Thanks for backing me Repo and Tuna.

Yeah Ford had a 7 lug wheel. Just doesn't look right when the hubcap is removed. I guess it was just their way to confuse the hell out of everybody. I think they changed the wheel size and lug count again with the 2004 bodystyle.