1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 Dodge Ram plow question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by m00nraker, Jun 30, 2007.

1. m00nraker

m00nraker Member

Hey everyone, new to the site and I have a few questions

I just recently graduated Highschool, managed to get myself a job in the field I want to make a career, (Working Campus Safety at a local college), and just recently bought an 02 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab. I absolutely love the truck.

I know a few kids from Highschool who have Plowing/Landscaping companies, and run F350's with massive V-plows. Seeing this made me a little jealous.

I have since come to realize i have not purchased the best truck for plowing. Seeing as it doesnt have a solid front axle - oh well!

At work, they have an 04 1500 with a Fisher 7' Minute mount plow, i havent seen it in action yet, but I was wondering if this is a good Idea for me? OR would i be better off going with a Sno-way - and if so, which model would suit me best? I would just be doing my driveway, and a few neighbors/ friends close by. - Nothing huge.

.....Sooooo, what is my best option, and how much would it roughly cost me?

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Half tons don't get the credit they should. Any truck you get will push snow as long as you remember what kind of truck it is. A 7.5' Fisher on the quad cab will do a fantastic job for you with many driveways and a light amount of commercial. Heck, my grandfather used half tons all of his time plowing, and he did 6-7 commercials along with a dozen driveways. A half ton truck like yours will be a great truck to run 4-5 years while deciding if plowing is for you. Should you decide it isn't, Joe Homeowner is always looking to buy a family truck with the residential duty Fisher, or keep the truck/plow combo & plow the folks' or grandparents' driveway for as long as you have the truck. You CAN pay off the cost of a new or used plow in a year or 2, maybe more depending on how aggressive you want to be. New you can look at $4000, but there are a couple folks on Plowsite who refurbish used plows to brand new. BDavis is one such guy that members here have had great luck with, and he always has a stock of Fishers (in my opinion, the best you're gonna find -- as you noted, the college has 'em on their trucks, and municipalities have them on 1-tons for a reason (Fisher tough!)). Click here & catch Brian: http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=46206&highlight=bdavis
  3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i would stick with the fisher its the best plow and you can get parts anywhere or online if you had to