1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Ext Cab

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by BIGGB9, Oct 4, 2007.

1. BIGGB9

BIGGB9 Senior Member

Hey guys I found a 02 ram 2500 ext cab Diesel with 60000 miles for 19000 dollars is that a good price, no plow on it. Anything bad or good things about that year. Thanks Brian.

2. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Thats the last year before they changed the body style. I believe they call that 2nd generation. Check for codes in the computer. Turn the key on off on off on and look at the odometer anything that shows up write it down and look it up online. Steering can wander, find out if anything has been replaced. Injector pump can cost $2000 find out if they have ever been done. do a little research for diesel ram forum and read up.. I learned lots. I have a 99 2001 and 2003 all 2500 all cummins.

3. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

problems

I bought mine new in 2002 it has 90,000 miles and I wouldn't't take 19,000 for it. It did have an ejector problem at 68,000 but it was fixed under warranty. I am not aware of this being a common problem.

4. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

dont know about the market in your area but that seems real salty for around here...I saw an 04 cummins QC 4x4 on the lot 2 weeks ago with 105k on the ticker for 20,000

diesel trucks have taken a price dive right along with everything else...there are many things about that truck to look for...injector pump, lift pump, trac-bar, front ball joints, tranny issues...etc......

all trucks have issues that are expected....these are the most common ones with the late 2nd gen ram diesels...

the 2nd gen cummins generally brings less $$$ than an 03 & up not only because of the age but because of several other factors...the 3rd gen diesels are quieter than the 2nd gen trucks (less diesel rattle) due to a different injection configuration. 3rd gens also get a little better fuel mileage..

I have a 2nd gen truck & wouldnt trade it for a 3rd gen truck...but then again,I like the rattle & have also fixed all the big money dodge problems with mine...

Go to dodge truck world or Dieselplace and do some reading... it sounds like it might be a decent truck but unless the fuel system, tranny, ball joints, & trac-bar have already been done, I think that it is a bit over priced...

I'LL sell you mine for $25K with the plow. hell, I'll even throw in a 2 stage snow thrower, 3 shovels, & a walk behind salt/sander...:drinkup:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I'll agree with everything you've said up to this point. As the Emissions craze gets further along, the diesel fuel economy is declining. none of the trucks (equally equipped) will get as good of fuel economy as a 12V, plain and simple.

The 3rd Gen trucks have a Common Rail injection system, this is what the Duramax has been using from the get-go. Instead of a radia or inline pump, this uses a CP3 high pressure pump to pressurize teh fuel rail and each injector is electronically actuated. The CRD's are also quieter due to the addition of a 3rd injection event. This helps with a less turbulent flame front, and less "knock".

6. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

Can`t add much to what everone else said i did my reaserch for month before i decided on my 2500 cummins now 14k miles later i love it even tho i am on my 2nd trans ( bought it with extended warranty )

7. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

Price sounds a little high. I bought the same exact truck exactly 1 year ago with only 46,000 miles for $17,700. Fuel system and trans are the weakest points. You have to cycle the key on and off three times for the PCM/ECM codes to be displayed on the odometer readout. P0216 is the code for the VP44 injector pump which is a common failure on 2nd gen 24 valve trucks. The lift pump fails and anything below 3-5 PSI will cause the injector pump to fail.