1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 dodge 3500

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by 90plow, Mar 21, 2011.

1. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I'm getting into a 2002 dodge ram dually 3500 that needs some work for a great deal. Anything I should be overly concerned with. Its got140k on the clock. I know its got a new front end on it. But what else is notorious for going wrong on these besides the trans?
  2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

What does it have for a motor? Cummins?
  3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

If its a gasser than the intake plenum gasket is probably gone, other than that and maybe some vacum hoses it really shouldn't need much. The 5.9 V8 is a pretty solid engine, just do a tune up with new plugs/wires/cap/rotor when you get it.
  4. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

sorry its a 5.9 cummins.
  5. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Depends on what it needs I guess. The 5.9 Cummins is a super motor but you can't ignore the fact that its a diesel and parts aren't cheap. If you're talking injectors, fuel pumps, turbos, etc. you're looking at thousands of dollars........

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Watch out for the 53 block. I don't think it was offered in the 02 year but might of been transplanted through out its life. The major issue for this era Cummins was the fuel delivery system. Lift pumps would go bad making the injector pump suck up the fuel and starve itself to death. Do a search on this issue to get the full picture. There are many ways to resolve the problem....

As for the drive line the 4.10 gears will be powerfull but somewhat fuel thirsty. Trans have a bad wrap in this era truck too. Mostly from neglect because the engine tears out the OD from all the torque when pulling. Stay away from the progammers and keep up on oil changes and typicial maintanence and the truck will be great !!!

Normal life span of the 5.9 Cummins is 2.5 trucks, which translates into replacing everything on the truck that many times !!!!!
  7. mike6256

mike6256 Senior Member

As stated above fueling!! Get some gauges and upgrade the lift pump... The dashes crack to pieces and the doors rust on the bottom. As far as the trans I have had only one issue, it would go in and out of lock up just reset the apps sensor and no problem. My truck tows and pushes 90% of its life and has only left me sit once and that was a lift pump:angry:
    Good luck.
  8. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Thanks guys picking it up this week sometime.
  9. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

10. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Sorry guess I wrote the year wrong just looked at it on the post its a 2000 not 2002. The truck had been sitting for 4 months with dead batteries I put new ones in and one crank over the thing fired up. Towed it over to the shop for a new oil pan. Im impressed it started so quickly.
  11. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

Thats great to here enjoy your truck. I just picked up a 2001 dodge ram 3500 dually diesel and it is a great truck.
  12. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Any pictures of it? Be nice to see a before and after as you said it needs some work. :)
  13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

You want to check the KDP too- still applicable in the early 24V engines (Killer Dowel Pin)
  14. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

I am pretty sure 99 was the last year for the 53 block. But cant hurt to climb under and check. Great advice about the pump. But at 140k he probably already replaced it. But either way put a fass system on it This will save you from every 100k spending 1500 on a the pump. As for the trany you can put a bigger VB in it and it cure alot of the isses from that tranny. Front ends are weak. That cummins is heavy. If you plan on plowing with it you must have the ballast in it this will cut down on front end wear and the nose dive. And unless you plan on doing the vb and convertor you should stay clear of controllers

Think it was fixed by 2000. But good advice/
  15. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

53 block was reported up to and through some 02's and some issues of the KDP asl well tho not as common as the 12V.
    VB is a major help, TC too since the lockup is prone to failure with high stresses. Oh, and keep OD off unless you're driving over 40mph- fast enough it isn't going to hunt- the OD in these trannys is a spring and wears when applied with low line pressure like you have at the initial engage rpm. Going to loose some mpgs, but save the cost of an od unit in the long term.