1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 Dodge 2500 engine swap

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by mow 4 u, May 23, 2016.

1. mow 4 u

mow 4 u Member

Have a 2002 Dodge 2500 4x4 truck with 5.9 liter gas engine, has 285k and needs a new motor. Was thinking if a 5.7 hemi truck motor would bolt up to the automatic that the truck presently has?

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

wont work unless you have a complete donor truck to steal all the parts required.put a 5.9 and call it a day.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I bet, a beer that the Hemi will bolt right up, just because they added a hemi head to their engine i dout they changed the bell housing.

if they did I bet another beer, they make a bell-housing or an adapter.
    sounds like it would be a common swap.

swap from a donor truck, or a used engine(hemi) just make sure so you get the ecm and such.

are you going to get a used engine or a new crate engine?

4. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

How much would a new replacement 5.9 Gasser sell for?

5. Grant11

Grant11 Junior Member

I'd call jasper... I know your question was posted over a month ago and you probably found one by now. My 5.9 magnum started burning oil really bad around 180k miles. I'm sure by 285k miles your engines tired