1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 Chevy C6500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by plowfever, Nov 19, 2011.

1. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Guys I am looking at a 2002 Chevy C6500 dump truck with the 8.1 engine and a auto tranny. Is this a good truck? It has only 18,000 miles on it and also has a plow with it. I offered $14,000 out the door for it and they took it so I think it would be a steal. I would use it for pulling my mowing trailer, mulching, clipping when I trim shrubs and snow in the winter. It is a lo pro truck. I know this is a big truck for just using to mow but for that price I am considering it for the fact it would be great to mulch out of and be a perfect landscape truck down the road.

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

terrible...what dealer is it at?

3. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Terrilible in what way?

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

He just saying that because he wants to buy it for that price. That is a great deal!!!

5. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

That's what I figured! To bad I already got the deal and got a deposit on it. I think it will be a great truck for my landscape maintenance stuff and be a good truck to plow with I would think.

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Be careful. I been looking to sell my C6500 with 20,000 mi.( Stored winters ) and I would want much more than $14,000. Just make sure someone who knows about them looks it over. If it checks out good, you are getting a good deal IMO. ( without having seen it of course )

7. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Why are you selling yours?

8. WIPensFan

It rarely gets used, hence the 20,000 mi. for a 1998.

9. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Is it gas or diesel?

10. WIPensFan

7.0L gas Manual 5+2 trans.

11. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

What kind of gas mileage does your truck get. I am figuring that I would get about 5-6 mpg at the best.

12. WIPensFan

Never paid much attention to gas milage, just always fill it when its low. Your guess on yours is close i'm sure. I would find a different truck to pull mowers around with, you won't make any money by the time you gas that beast every week.

13. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

That's probably close, maybe even the high end when trailering, which is why the truck is going cheap. Most people would prefer a truck that size with a medium duty diesel with 200K miles over the gas motor with low miles.

14. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

The good thing for me is all my work is within a 20 mile radius so it won't be going that far. The gas milage really is not going to affect me for this reason. I know eventually I may expand my coverage area to maybe 50 miles but I don't expect that for several years if ever. I would say on a average week I would maybe put 200 miles on it. I to would prefer a diesel but for this price I figure I may at least consider it.

15. WIPensFan

Not me, there is more to the truck than just the engine. The engine may be able to handle 200,000 but the rest of the truck could be a piece of ****. For me, I'll take the low miles.

16. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Also as far as my trailer goes all I have is a 16' enclosed that holds my one ZTR and one walkbehind mower so total weight including trailer may be 5,000 lbs. I am going to be buying a trailer for my new skid steer but I plan on maybe a 20' at the most. I don't want to have such a huge rig it is difficult to get into places. How good of turning radius do these trucks have compared to a F350?

17. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

The fuel cost are just the tip of the iceburg. You need to look at everything. The cost to register that truck here is about $500 a year. Cheap tieres are $300, decent tires are in the $400 range, and don't expect to get 40k miles out of them. Call a heavy repair shop and ask them to give you an idea on what a rear brake job costs on one of these trucks. Assuming it has rear discs, I bet you'll be surprised.

Don't get me wrong, if you can use it to it's potential most of the time, it can make fiscal sense, but if you;re simply towing a few mowers everyday with an empty bed, you'll likely be poeeing away money.

That's why I said "most", and I doubt anyone here would label you as normal.................... ;)

18. WIPensFan

:laughing: Maybe I'm biased because I will be trying to sell a gas truck with low miles.:drinkup:

19. WIPensFan

20. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Those are all good points and for should be looked into. As far as the repairs go those are not a big deal as I do all the work myself so all it cost me is parts. Like I have said all along I am just considering this truck and only way I will write the check is if it is in excellent shape and it checks out well and has not been wrecked or driven like someone stole it. I am very picky on what I purchase because I have made the mistake before of liking the item and finding out down the road it was a big mistake and not worth what I have paid for it. I had a 3500HD Chevy dump and had nothing but issues with that truck to the tune of 3 transmission and one engine before it ever hit 100,000 miles and that was me being on top of maintenance. I have a soar taste from that truck for Chevy trucks that's why I posted this tread!