1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 Chevy 2500HD Upgrades

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by legendbridges, Aug 24, 2008.

1. legendbridges

legendbridges Junior Member

I currently own a 2002 chevy 2500hd 6.0 liter gas truck I am putting a 7.5 Fisher MM on it and plowing commercially. The truck does not have the snowplow prep package and will plow for 12 hours plus at a time. Are there any upgrades I need to make to the truck. Dual battery, larger battery cables, larger altenator, tighten torsion bars, anything or do nothing??? Does anyone recommend going up a tire size in diameter to 275's and a good snow tire???? Thanks for the help...

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Tons of reading here on these very questions. Do a few searches using keywords like "T-bars" "fan clutch" "Timbrens". "Plow prep" is another good one.

Also head over to the truck & equipment repair forum and search "duel battery's" and "isolator"...more good reading there.

In a nut shell, at the very least your going to want to upgrade the fan clutch, give the T-bars a few turns and if budget allows a larger alternator.

You did mention larger batt cables/wiring also...a very smart idea that often gets overlooked. Best wiring upgrade you can do to these trucks when plow equipped is to run a larger charge wire to replace the stock (undersized) one between the alt and battery.

3. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Welcom to plowsite Legen, sounds like you an BB have it all worked out! Good luck and welcome to plowsite.

PS don't forget a Fluid Film search:waving:

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Im no tire expert but generally a narrow tire has a better load range. the coopers i use to run dont have load range e in a 275

275 is the width not the diameter, but like i said not an expert