1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 chevy 2500HD plow light wiring harness

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Otts, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Otts

Otts Junior Member
    from WI

Is there an upgraded truck side light harness that I can buy for my truck? Swapping the plow to a new truck and would like to know if there is a better harness out there.
    Part # and price would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Sounds like you need the 29048 headlamp harness. But if you have four headlamps and all four turn on at the same time for low beam you may need a two relay adapter device to prevent both high and low plow fillaments to turn on at the same time. Without the adapter your headlamp bulbs will burn out very quickly because they get too hot.

3. Otts

Otts Junior Member
    from WI

Talked to a guy today that said i needed a,
    1. Isolation module conversion kit
    2. Module part # 29070-1
    3. Headlight harness part # 29048
    Close to $500 worth of stuff.
    Anyone have any opinions on if its worth it??

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The conversion kits are generally cheaper than buying the pieces one at a time. Switching to isolation module from relays is a good plan if you are not real good with electrical stuff. They are much more reliable and easier to troubleshoot. There is a reason why Western doesn't sell the relay kits any more.. and that is because the iso module is sooo much better. If you can afford it go for it.

5. Blacksmith Cycl

Blacksmith Cycl Junior Member

I also have a 02 2500HD. In doing my fall maintenance this year the lights wouldn't work. Mine had the older 6 relay system and all the terminals for the relays were corroded. Rather than spend the time reconstructing the harness by crimping on all new connectors and replacing the relays, I wired the plows high and low beam to a heavy duty toggle switch in the dash. I am still using the 9 pin connector from the Western wiring harness, but now the plow lights are controlled by a 3 position toggle switch for high, low, and off. The turn signals and running lights still work off of the truck. All I have to do is manually turn off the trucks headlights when I turn on the plow lights. It's old school, and a little crude, but it's safe, effective, and took me about an hour from start to finish doing it right with proper connections, etc. Besides......I figure people used a similar set up on their plow trucks for years before things got all fancy and automatic. For $500 I would go with a toggle switch set up.