1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 Chevy 2500hd Flatbed Build

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by jb1390, Nov 19, 2013.

1. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Technically a rebuild...it had a flatbed that was rusting through pretty badly...I could almost fit my foot through a couple of the holes. Trying to get it done before winter.

2. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

It's a steel bed with 1 5/8" oak as a decking material. Wood looks good, hope it holds up ok. It's red oak, which isn't as good as white oak for outdoor, but I had the logs and had it cut pretty cheap. I got a marine varnish that I hope will help.

3. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

8' 6" long, the old bed was exactly 8', which was very annoying when trying to load plywood or sheetrock, and also get the tailgate on.

ScreenHunter_14 Nov. 19 11.25.jpg
  4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Sweet. Looks good and it's a dump!
  5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

6. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I think that guy might need more help than just a flatbed. Never would have thought to get a running start when loading a trailer :help:
  7. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I grooved out the area where the flat stock joined so I could get decent penetration on the welds.

ScreenHunter_14 Nov. 21 17.20.jpg

8. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

When i cut trees, I move the pieces out in log length and cut it and split at my house. Those first pieces can be pretty heavy and roll into the sides hard when they come off the forks on the tractor. The old sides had bent from just being sheet metal-I don't want that to happen anymore, hence why the sides are built so heavy. 3" by 3" 1/4" thick angle with a full weld to 5" by 1/4" flat stock.

9. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Good build. That last pic looks like a heavy load.
  10. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Got about everything done except for the headache rack. I welded in a couple of posts that i will weld the rack to later on. Spent the day yesterday sandblasting and cleaning it up. Got a coat of primer on it last night.

11. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Nice, especially since you supplied your own wood. How Many miles on that truck???
  12. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Truck has 178,000. Bought it with 148,000, and been abusing it ever since. Holding up pretty well, and a lot less expensive to run than something brand new. Flatbed with 1000 lbs counterweight and my 8'6" V make pushing snow a lot of fun.
  13. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I need to turn my 01 2500hd in to a flatbed!
  14. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good. I built a dump bed for my Chevy and used wood like you did. Did not like the wood. The one I built for my Ford, I used diamond plate. The wood shrunk and bucked like crazy,plus I had to drill holes in the crossmembers for the deck screws which I did not like.
  15. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Looking good.

Boy I should have bought back my 04 that was totaled out here recently and had someone do the same exact thing.
  16. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I'm hoping that using oak will help it hold up a bit better than pine/fir box store wood. I am using red oak, so the jury is out, but I think if I have a problem I can replace with white oak and be ok. I had trex on my old truck bed, which I really liked, but it is not cheap unless you have some extra lying around.

I will be bolting it down 2 spots per cross-member with carriage bolts, which I think will prevent it from warping.

The old floor rusted out starting from each crossmember, because of salt trapped between the diamond plate and the structural steel.
  17. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I did not like drilling in the cross members. I allows road chemicals to impinge in the drilled threaded hole. If you look at my build on youtube i show how i tried to prevent the rust from cross members to diamond plate floor. Youtube user name. Tjsnordic
  18. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Got a coat of black paint on. Will do another coat on the outside surfaces come spring, it's getting pretty cold to shoot paint. I have a torpedo heater in the shop, but it's not insulated and very drafty. Took a couple days, but seems to be hardening up ok.

19. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

After 6+ months with the wood, I concur. Even though I installed the wood in the winter, most boards have 1/4"-1/2" of gap now in the summer. I would have expected swelling with the humidity, but it shrunk. No more wood decking for future builds.

Built another bed for a friend with 3/16" diamond plate, looks real sharp. Will get pics when that bed gets installed. Going on a 2012 3500HD SRW.
  20. PWW

PWW Junior Member

The wood will stop shrinking after about a year or two. I redecked a trailer with green oak and just put them in with no gap and real tight now a couple months latter it has nice gaps in between the boards it worked out great