1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 Chevy 2500

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by thirteen, Nov 19, 2011.

1. thirteen

thirteen Junior Member

I need an undercarriage if you have one to sell.
    I have a 1/2 ton Chevy undercarriage to sell if you need one.

Where do people mount the solenoid in this truck? I am really not finding a good place for it. Do the extra wires hanging off the light wires go to anything on this truck. I installed the wiring harness adapter but the instructions don't say anything about the extra wire on the right side that would be the turn signal or the 2 wires on the left side that would be turn and park.

Where is the best place to go through the firewall? I went through where large bunch of wiring goes through from the fusebox, but wasn't sure if it was the best place.
  2. thirteen

thirteen Junior Member

Not sure what to look at next.....

I put the 4 Relay wiring harness in my truck - 13 pin connector.
    The headlights will switch over to the plow and I can use the high beams as well.
    I have not delved into the park/turn light wring yet because I found no schematic.
    I followed the wiring diagram from Boss website and I am not getting any power to the solenoid when put a tester on the two black/white wires.
    Headlight wiring appears to be exactly ad the diagram and they work.
    I have the small brown wire and the primary ground well grounded to the alternator bracket.
    I have power from the remote post Chevy has (battery terminals don't fit any accessories).
    I put the fused red while to the remote positive terminal/post.
    I have the black/red wire inside the truck in the fuse panel per Boss instructions so it is only on when truck is on.
    The vehicle make connector is is the correct orientation.

Any guess why I have not power at the solenoid on the black/white wires? I am assuming this is my first issue to fix.

I moved the relays around to make sure they all work (lights go out then back on when swapping them).

It seems I can't conclude the solenoid is bad if I am not even getting power to it.

Would I only be getting power to the solenoid when the controller is pressed? If so, I will have to try again with a friend to check this. Maybe solenoid is bad.

Any thought would be nice. I have never installed a plow before, but I get the basic idea of the wiring diagram and how the relays work. Although, apparently not a thorough enough idea.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Turn and park wires and their colors are clearly shown on page 10 here. Wire colors on truck are as follows..

Drk Blue- R Turn
    Lt Blue- L turn
    Brown- Park

A poor location that causes issues. Move it directly to the battery terminal. Longer battery bolts are available at any auto parts stores to extend it out for adding the extra cable. Be sure your ground cable is also directly on the neg battery terminal as well. No other location is ideal.

That is acceptable.

You won't have power at the black/white until a control function is pressed that requires the pump to run- raise, angle (straight blade) or either wing extend (vee plow). If the solenoid was tripped all the time the pump would run all the time.
  4. thirteen

thirteen Junior Member

B&B, thanks for the responses. I was expecting I missed a wiring harness adapter for the turn/park lamps. The issues that caused that are everything is used and when I printed the straight blade manual, I either missed page 10 (actually page 11 in the one I printed) or I lost it. I got it now, it was simple, I just couldn't figure out why the manual didn't mention it. Having all the pages seems to help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree I wanted to put the positive and negative right on the battery. I didn't know there are adapters. I will go out to Napa this morning and get them.

I think I am going to end up concluding I need a solenoid too.

5. thirteen

thirteen Junior Member

I put the positives and negatives on the battery with adapters. I installed a new solenoid.
    All lights work perfect, with turns and park. I moved relays around and all seem to work by way of getting lights going.
    Switch on plow does not activate.
    I was able to get plow to turn both sides - while not fully hitched. No up or down.
    Then a few minutes later solenoid only clicks.
    Without plow connected if I switch from truck to plow the high beam indicator on the dash comes on.
    I believe I have everything connected per the wiring diagram.
    Where should I look next? Should I just replace all the relays?
    This is a 13 pin connector. I know everything on the plow works because I hitched it to another truck.
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

1) The controller has to be in the float position for the Smart Hitch toggle on the light tower to work.

2) You have one or more of the headlamp adapters plugged in incorrectly. They go one of two ways but only one is correct. See manual here here. You need them on the "B" side.

3) Jump the two large posts on the solenoid with a set of jumper cables and see if the motor runs. If it does replace the solenoid, if it doesn't recheck your power and ground connections at all locations from the battery to the bumper plug.
  7. thirteen

thirteen Junior Member

Thanks. I actually just read a little while ago about the float function and I didn't know that. I finally read the whole manual, which is something I should have done it in the first place. I am positive I plugged the headlight adapters correctly, but I will check again because something is wrong.
    I just bought the solenoid today, but for $14 I shouldn't hold out much hope it is anything special.
    Thanks for the help.
    I need a break from this and will get back to it tomorrow. Hopefully it doesn't snow until I get this done.
  8. thirteen

thirteen Junior Member

Thanks. Got it. Just knowing what "float position" meant is apparently a crucial part of this entire setup.
    I got it on and working. I failed horribly getting the plow off and now the raise/lower of the tower doesn't work and solenoid just clicks, but I am sure I can figure it out. I got this far.

Thanks for the help. Might be able to test it out on Wednesday. Kinda hope not because I am not ready for winter yet.
  9. thirteen

thirteen Junior Member

So it sparking bad at the mount connection when putting it down. I assume I have a bad ground somewhere?

The ground to the battery is a brand new adapter stud, the cable looks mint.
    I have not taken the plow apart yet so you think that is my best guess for a ground issue?

The tower actually comes down by itself when unhooked (slowly, it doesn't slam down).
    I bought new hydraulic fluid and intend to drain and replace in the next day or two. I just thought I would post this in case someone thinks I have a separate issue.

When I put the plow up it seems to stay up. I didn't try it for me than a few minutes, but it stays up.
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No problem, happy to assist. You're likely still fighting a faulty solenoid or poor cable connections somewhere, so go over it all again. And don't overlook the power and ground cable connections under the pump cover as being sure you have a good connection at the bumper plug as I mentioned before. These plows are pretty simple but having a little incite to the common problem areas helps a bunch.

And since you're still a little green to these plows and while you're on the subject of the pump not running, a good tip to remember if you ever get in a pinch (dead SH toggle, pump won't run etc) and need to remove the plow is to simply put in float and manually pull/pull the lift tower down to detach the plow from the truck. Many guys (even veterans) do not realize that the tower can still be hand operated with the use of the SH and often leaves the with a needed truck with a dead plow attached and no way to separate the two.
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's arcing at the mount you have a poor ground connection, either at the bumper plug or at the pump motor under the cover as I mentioned previously. If you've yet to have the pump cover off it's time to do so now. Because while you're in there you want to go over all the wire connections under there as well. Pulling each one off, cleaning them up, giving each terminal a slight squeeze with pliers and adding a little dielectric grease for Fluid Film to each one goes a long way to making and keeping it reliable over the long haul.
  12. thirteen

thirteen Junior Member

Ok thanks. I did pull everything apart on truck side, clean them and lots of dielectric grease. I will get going on the plow side tomorrow now that I have the truck side working. Thanks.
    With your help its almost like I know what I am doing (almost).

Temp is down to 25 degrees here so I am done for tonight. I have a head cold so I can't take it anymore.

I think the bumper plug is good, but I will check it. My guess is it is on the plow side because I haven't touched any of it yet.
    I planned to pull it all apart, grease, change oil, clean, whatever else I see......
  13. thirteen

thirteen Junior Member

Thanks for everything B&B. I wanted to let you know I went through everything on the plow side, apart, tighten, dielectric grease, etc... Ground problem was at bumper.
    We were tested with 8" of snow today in Maine.
    I plowed the Church parking lot and everything worked perfect.
    I still plan to drain and redo the hydraulic fluid, but I am so sick I haven't even gotten to my driveway yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

I just wanted to let you know your help made me successful.

Thanks, Thirteen.

I have been using Fisher plows for years and usually use my father-in-laws two trucks to plow out his farm. This Boss works much better, I like it.